diy solar

diy solar

Sealed shattered glass on a dozen big panels...

Externet

Greetings.
Carefully, thoroughly double coated the shattered glass on new, transit damaged 400W panels with a clear coat and would like to know opinions for putting them to work. If rain water gets in by an undetected/missed crack, will there be arcing/burning ? What is the typical scenario for water ingress on a panel ? My house is worth not risking it to fire.
Considered using them only on a metal roof to avoid any ambers from reaching any fire prone surface. Cannot find 2m x 1m metal foil to put underneath as ash tray for using them on another material roof.
Comments, experience and knowledge is welcome.

Anything is possible…

My shattered panels are leaning against my shop metal building… no issues uncoated.

What specific product did you use for clear coat? I have one such panel I'm trying to decide what to do with.
I don't have hands on experience, but just my educated guess tells me that worst case is corrosion and eventual dissolving of conducting wires, which results in reduced performance all the way down to zero eventually, but I cannot imagine any scenario where things catch on fire. Series connections of such panels probably a bad idea as the whole string would be limited by weakest conductive path, so I would try and use them in parallel setup if possible and watch their peak performance over time for signs of degrading.

I have one that is a little hazzy after sealing... lol, still putting out as much as the perfect one, nearly identical output

Hi.
Interesting point on the parallel use. If one panel trace gets to arcing/melting due to corrosion, power will be still parallel applied to it to ensure traces burn/melt completely to an open circuit. If series; an open circuit from arcing due to corrosion will diminish? the voltage the gap needs to sustain arcing somewhere else.

I used "Eagle supreme sealer clear gloss pure acrylic non-yellowing solvent based" product at Lowe's by my own decision; not a recommendation from anyone. If goofy, well, I goofed. -Never done before- Dry-wiped with rags, thoroughly clean before. One gallon made a dozen panels twice with a spongy squeegee type applicator.

If any source of 2m x 1m metal foil source vendor to use as ash-tray comes to mind, please share. Am just being over-cautious from Murphy showing up unannounced to burn the house.

If haze shows up after sealing means needs a venting orifice or two, right ?

diy solar

diy solar
Back