diy solar

diy solar

Mounting 200 watt Renogy panels on a metal roof?

Vigilant

Greetings.

I am in the process of purchasing three more 200 watt panels from Renogy_Solar on Ebay for a total of 10. My plan is to mount two rows of five panels each on my metal roof. The roof will be grounded to an 8 foot grounding rod sunk into the ground. I assume that would be sufficient? They will be connected to an Ecoflow Delta and two River Pros, each with the additional battery. That comes out to about 4,140 watt hours by my calculations ?? I intend to use this system as backup in the event of a prolonged power outage in these troubled times, but the plan is to use it on a continued basis to help a little on the utility bill.

I have several questions about this process. Apparently the people at Renogy are having problems with the language barrier.

With all the heat retained on a metal roof, will this have any kind of negative effect on the output of the panels? If so, please share some input on how deal with it.

The ridges on the roof appear to be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch too high for the panels to be mounted over them when using Renogy's mounting bracket kits. Would it be wise to use a section of 2X4 as a buffer and beat the ridges down just in the places required to clear the panels, or should I use some kind of shims?

Does it make sense when cleaning the panels to use just a clean cloth, with a little water if needed, and no soap of any kind?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Is your roof Galvalume or standing seam? The Renogy brackets worked for me on Galvalume.

Attachments

• Old Solar.jpg
    Old Solar.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3246.jpg
    IMG_3246.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 27
Sorry for the delay in responding. These Renogy 200 watt panels averaged about 160 watts each when I checked them last winter, just propped up against a 5 gallon bucket. Now that they are mounted, they only show about 95 watts each in the summer sun. These panels resemble the photo on the right . Those panels also appear to be mounted directly to the roof, with no spacing for heat dissipation. Could someone please advise as to what kind of material I could use for the spacers? Or should I just leave them as they are? My main concern is with the possible heat damage. Thanks.

Sorry for the delay in responding. These Renogy 200 watt panels averaged about 160 watts each when I checked them last winter, just propped up against a 5 gallon bucket. Now that they are mounted, they only show about 95 watts each in the summer sun. These panels resemble the photo on the right . Those panels also appear to be mounted directly to the roof, with no spacing for heat dissipation. Could someone please advise as to what kind of material I could use for the spacers? Or should I just leave them as they are? My main concern is with the possible heat damage. Thanks.
They are mounted and inch or so above the valley to clear the rib in the panel so they are not in direct contact. I'd didn't have any issues.

Good luck with your build. I'm Florida and it's pretty hot here. Maybe you can elevate your panels a bit off the roof?
So yours are mounted such that they do clear the ribs? That's how mine are mounted now, but considering the significant reduction in output versus last winter when each panel was just propped up on a bucket with no heat problems, I just need to be comfortable that there is in fact sufficient spacing between the panels and the hot metal roof. I sent an inquiry to Renogy, and they replied. Should be some more conversation to follow. I'll keep you posted.

They were just a grunt above the tallest rib. Here is the pic when I took them down. It's the best view I could find for you. On a side note, I didn't even need to screw them down. I like to have NEVER got that 3M tape to let go. That stuff is amazing. I used a screwdriver to pry them up. I only used it initially for waterproofing but I'm pretty I would trust just the 3M tape to secure panels to the roof of a vehicle. However, It's pretty hot here (Florida). It will be 102F tomorrow (straight temp). You in Arizona?

Attachments

• IMG_3248.jpg
    IMG_3248.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3251.jpg
    IMG_3251.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 9
Eastern North Carolina. High of 81 here today. Hottest I've seen it here so far this year is 96.

It was 103 here today, heat index was 110-115. It's 7:00 PM and it's 99 degrees right now.
I did some time in Florida years ago, picking up produce. I feel your pain. So you are not seeing any loss of output from the heat? Part of mine just barely clear the ridges, and part of them are touching, so I'm almost certainly going to have to install some sort of shims between the roof and the panels.

Mine are not on the roof any longer. I didn't have any problems when they were though.
Thanks. I finally talked with Renogy today, and asked them how much higher I should space the panels to address any possible heat issues. The answer was, 1.5 to 2 inches. Can anyone recommend some type of shim material in that thickness range that would be weather proof and heat resistant?

2” x 2” x 6” x 1/4” wall square aluminum tubing
Ends cut at 45* and mastic to roof; solar panels set on those.

Couple more quick questions if you don't mind.

Since all this tubing will serve as is a shim, I would think 1/8" thickness would be fine, correct?

From what I can gather, it looks like 6061 series aluminum would work just fine, but since it will only serve as a shim, wouldn't 6063 series be just as good, or is there another series I should look at?

Thanks again!

I believe I'm all set, with 1 possible exception. 3M has what appears to be the best option for some barrier tape to keep the aluminum spacer bars from contacting the metal roof, but I'm having a hard time finding any. They have some heavy duty rubberized tape which they said would work in a pinch. Are there any other kinds of adhesive tape which would work properly in providing a barrier between the 2 inch square 6063 series aluminum spacers?

Thanks in advance.

option for some barrier tape to keep the aluminum spacer bars from contacting the metal roof,
Any non-flowing gasket or whatever. Two or three layers of guerrilla tape?

You will still wind up electrically connected to the roof from fastener

Back