diy solar

diy solar

Series parallel help

I am in agreement with you. Thank you

It's possible that due to shading, clouds, etc.. running the panels in 4p would work better because each panel is on it's own. When they are in series, the ones in series are like Siamese twins, what happens to one, happens to the other.

I don't know if it was ever mentioned, but in series, each panel needs to be at the exact same angle and same direction to the sun. In parallel you can put them all willy nilly all over the place.

It's possible that due to shading, clouds, etc.. running the panels in 4p would work better because each panel is on it's own. When they are in series, the ones in series are like Siamese twins, what happens to one, happens to the other.

I don't know if it was ever mentioned, but in series, each panel needs to be at the exact same angle and same direction to the sun. In parallel you can put them all willy nilly all over the place.
I have all 4 panels set the same and no shade issue. With 4P I’m getting about 20 volts and as much as 19 amps. With 2S2P 40 + volts but 7-8 amps. So I’ll be sticking with the 4P. I am going to add 2 more arrays 1 east 1 west to get as much as possible out of my set up. My runs are short so using 10 gauge I think it’s pretty efficient. I do want to upgrade my inverter it idles at about a 1/4 amp

I have all 4 panels set the same and no shade issue. With 4P I’m getting about 20 volts and as much as 19 amps. With 2S2P 40 + volts but 7-8 amps. So I’ll be sticking with the 4P. I am going to add 2 more arrays 1 east 1 west to get as much as possible out of my set up. My runs are short so using 10 gauge I think it’s pretty efficient. I do want to upgrade my inverter it idles at about a 1/4 amp

It could be your MPPT controller just doesn't like them in series... or it could be that the panels are not all "equal". In parallel they are all doing their own thing to the best of their ability. In series, if one of them isn't quite as well built, or running as optimally as the other one in the series, it will drag it's partner down.

It could be your MPPT controller just doesn't like them in series... or it could be that the panels are not all "equal". In parallel they are all doing their own thing to the best of their ability. In series, if one of them isn't quite as well built, or running as optimally as the other one in the series, it will drag it's partner down.
I’ll switch the controller and see if changes. I am going to stay with the 4P since it is working for me At this time. As my knowledge grows and I expand my system I’ll have to reassess.

I’ll switch the controller and see if changes. I am going to stay with the 4P since it is working for me At this time. As my knowledge grows and I expand my system I’ll have to reassess.

Good way of approaching things. You tried multiple things, found what worked best for your situation/equipment, and went with it. Whatever gets you the most energy and doesn't cause any damage. (y)

Good way of approaching things. You tried multiple things, found what worked best for your situation/equipment, and went with it. Whatever gets you the most energy and doesn't cause any damage. (y)
Thank you for your input greatly appreciated!!

Have you tried any other configuration?If so what comparison would you make to being in parallel?
I haven't tried any other configuration. I thought I new more than I actually know... now that I've started reading about things here I find I have a lot to learn.

I haven't tried any other configuration. I thought I new more than I actually know... now that I've started reading about things here I find I have a lot to learn.
Yeah I realized how much I don’t know rather quickly too. You say 6P what controller and batteries are you using? Currently I’m using Rich solar 40mppt with 6 115AH deep cycle lead batteries I’m going to add two more 4P arrays one facing east and one west. So far I’m able to run two 7.5cu ft deep freezers.

I'm using the Renogy MPPT 40 and I only have 1 200AH LiFePO4 battery. It does okay running 1 chest freezer and the Starlink, except when it's over 100f and the freezer wants to run 24 hours a day. Lights and water pump are run off the RV house batteries that only have a small battery charger panel, but need a boost occasionally.
I'm working on another system to utilize 3 panels that currently only run my well pump. For that I have 3 200AH SLA batteries and an eppever 60 MPPT. It's still in the building stage, but with winter coming I need to get my winter living quarters done and things up and running. I'm probably wasting money on all these little systems because in the next couple years I expect to have the real house built and will need a real house system. Although I'm learning to get by with less, so maybe the real house will be able to run on a smaller system too.

@oneshotjon

You could always use multiple smaller inverters on different circuits in the house. Nothing says you have to use one big system to run everything in the entire house.

@oneshotjon

You could always use multiple smaller inverters on different circuits in the house. Nothing says you have to use one big system to run everything in the entire house.
I really like the idea of several small systems running dedicated circuits with everything being interchangeable in the event something goes south!

I really like the idea of several small systems running dedicated circuits with everything being interchangeable in the event something goes south!
Redundancy. Becomes a bit of a wiring mumbo jumbo mess though. You will still need larger inverters for AC units and water heaters and things, but they wouldn't need to be so large they can run everything. You could get by using cheap AIMS style inverters for them, as long as they can be reliably put into sleep mode when not actively inverting or they will eat your batteries for lunch on idle consumption.

Back