diy solar

diy solar

Server rack SOK for Caribbean Cottage?

mjs44

Hi All,

I'm considering the SOK 48V server rack batteries for a UPS application in a cottage in the Caribbean. So not on a boat, but we do see rust issues commonly around the house. The batteries come with a 10 yr warranty... Are there terms that we would be violating to use them in this environment or location?

General thoughts? From a cost perspective, the marine grade batteries are much more expensive!

Thanks!
Michael

For many manufactures, the only difference between a "normal" and "marine" batteries is that the marine version uses studs/bolts for the connection vs clamp posts. Many of the other marine requirements (which most "marine" batteries don't actually comply with) are very specific to boats, and have little to do with rust or corrosion.

If they are indoors, kept at a temperature that is comfortable for humans, and kept dry, I don't see any problem with them used in a cottage. So, the question is, where will they be installed, and how protected it the area?

Is there a reason you wouldn't want to use the waterproof batteries instead of the server rack batteries? The EG4-WP battery from Signature Solar would be an example. Less to go wrong that way.

Thanks all!
@Shimmy thanks for pointing that option out. Looks price competitive. Can you all comment on what I lose without the inter-linked data busses on the server rack batteries? And for that matter, if I go with the Victron inverters, it isn’t overly clear what I give up in also not having the inverters and batteries on a common data bus(?)

Cheers

Open to any other thoughts/guidance!
Your battery capacity requirement really determines the best approach. Closed loop control (inverter talking to batteries directly has a lot of promise, but most are poorly executed.

I’m looking for 10-30kWhr capacity, with potential to scale. The ~5kWhr batteries (48V), whether rack or waterproof, sound attractive.

I’m pretty set on the Victron Quattro inverters, but open on batteries. As I search through things, I see conflicting content on whether Victron’s Cerbo GX can interface with SOK server rack batteries(?). It doesn’t appear the waterproof batteries have data interfaces.

I’m looking for 10-30kWhr capacity, with potential to scale. The ~5kWhr batteries (48V), whether rack or waterproof, sound attractive.

I’m pretty set on the Victron Quattro inverters, but open on batteries. As I search through things, I see conflicting content on whether Victron’s Cerbo GX can interface with SOK server rack batteries(?). It doesn’t appear the waterproof batteries have data interfaces.
Ok, once you get to that size the server rack units are most economical.

Hi All,

I'm considering the SOK 48V server rack batteries for a UPS application in a cottage in the Caribbean. So not on a boat, but we do see rust issues commonly around the house. The batteries come with a 10 yr warranty... Are there terms that we would be violating to use them in this environment or location?

General thoughts? From a cost perspective, the marine grade batteries are much more expensive!

Thanks!
Michael
I am just in the process of doing something similar. I am installing 5, SOK 48V server racks in a mechanical room that is about 40' from the ocean it is certainly better inside than outside but everything here rusts at a very high rate. We try to avoid anything with carbon steel (ie we use stainless screws and nails). Of course, it is simply not practical to use stainless in many cases. What I have discovered is an anti corrosive lubricant that is used in automotive parts manufacturing called Markee made by a company called HL Blachford Ltd. This is an oil like material that can be sprayed on or wiped on with a cloth. I have used it in my outdoor AC units and it is working amazingly well. What I am going to do is simply run a cloth with this Markee product over all of the metal surfaces. I will likely do this once a year or so.

@Benzimidazolone that is a good idea. Yes, we see the same rust formation on non-stainless. My question though… would you do this on the interior metal surfaces of the battery racks? I don’t expect the oil to be a dielectric, so there are some risks in doing this. I am generally less concerned with rust on the rack, and more on the electrical interconnects. Thoughts?

I don’t see anything in the warranty that excludes ocean climates…

@Benzimidazolone that is a good idea. Yes, we see the same rust formation on non-stainless. My question though… would you do this on the interior metal surfaces of the battery racks? I don’t expect the oil to be a dielectric, so there are some risks in doing this. I am generally less concerned with rust on the rack, and more on the electrical interconnects. Thoughts?

I don’t see anything in the warranty that excludes ocean climates…
If I was that close to the ocean I would put the batteries in a sealed/gasketed box with dessicant pouches inside to control moisture. As it is, I'm about 500' back, and I will put mine inside the garage. Treat the outside to limit corrosion, but try to make that your sacrificial layer.

I would not do anything to the inside. I am just going to coat the outside, exposed edges, corners, etc, where there is less/no coating. The 'indsides' if the battery are inside a box which is going to be inside a room so I think you have enough protection. Dessicant may help a bit but it is the salt that is causing the corrosion (in combination with the humidity).....update, I just finished installing my SOK server rack (5 batteries in a tower). I 'coated' the bolts and the corners but there is nothing really to do with the batteries. They are pretty well sealed.

That’s good to hear they’re decently contained! I’d be very interested to hear any updates. I suspect I won’t buy for another year

Back