diy solar

diy solar

Setting a system up now & I always get really confused with electrics but it's simple. Can someone Advise please?

Simon Atkinson

Have purchased seven 485 watt solar panels for the roof of my trailer.

Can someone please tell me how to wire them? All in series?

I am thinking I go for a 1000 to 3000 watt 24 volt inverter?

What Amps capacity does my charge regulator need to be?

Am based in the UK so often overcast or mild sunshine & more overhead sun in the summer!

Thanks in advance.. Simon

Can someone please tell me how to wire them? All in series?

Depends on your charge controller.

I am thinking I go for a 1000 to 3000 watt 24 volt inverter?

Depends on your energy/power needs.

What Amps capacity does my charge regulator need to be?

Depends on your battery voltage.

Am based in the UK so often overcast or mild sunshine & more overhead sun in the summer!

Don't kid yourself. You get no sun at all in Winter. You'll be lucky to get even a small fraction of your rated solar. Make sure you have an alternate source of power (generator) to get you through the Winter.

1) Did you do energy audit first to find out what system will work for your requirement? this is the first step that should be taken, see post #2 link.
2) Please provide full spec of the panels?
3) The spec of the charge controller will dictate how your panels will be wired, have odd number of panels will also limit the panel wiring arrangement.

Depends on your charge controller.

Depends on your energy/power needs.

Depends on your battery voltage.

Don't kid yourself. You get no sun at all in Winter. You'll be lucky to get even a small fraction of your rated solar. Make sure you have an alternate source of power (generator) to get you through the Winter.
Thanks for your replies in 'Beginners Corner'

What I can say first is you are making the classic newbie mistake of buying stuff first before understanding what you need. A 7 in most combinations is NOT a good choice because its a prime number only divisable by itself. What that means in the real-world is that you can only have a combination of 7 panels in series or 7 panels in parallel to make a functioning system.

Follow the advice that BM and SSE are giving you and come up with a plan first before buying anything else. Make an itemized list of what you want to power. Keep in mind that anything that either heats or cools typically draws far more power than electronic items like a TV, or DVD player.

The first thing to understand is the basic electrical mantra, in series Volts add while Amps stay the same. In parallel Amps add, while Volts stay the same. That idea guides all the math you will need to do.

As BM asks, first determine the specs of your panels. That means tell us the Vmp, Voc, Imp, Isc. Do you understand what those terms mean yet? Start there. Get those numbers, and get back to us.

Make the itemized list of what you need to power. Get those numbers and get back to us.

Recommendations can be made AFTER you provide us with the required information. These people here are willing to help you, but as indicated, you have to be willing to contribute some of the effort yourself.

Back