diy solar

diy solar

Shipping Li-Ion cells in the UK

Shorty

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of doing this in the UK?

I have 150 Samsung INR-21700 cells that I bought for a project that I never got off the ground and I'm looking to move these on to a new home. Problem being that in the UK almost all couriers refuse to take cells outside of a device. The advice floating around online is to just make a false declaration of what you are shipping... not ideal, but it makes me wonder how many cells you can ship at a time before they get flagged.

I did phone DPD to check and they said that the companies that use them to ship sells (Fogstar for example) have special contracts to do so.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone had any further advice on this?

If you sold at a price where it was worth the buyer collecting themselves ?? Stating where are you and what price are you looking for might attract some interest ??

Fogstar use UPS but they will have a contract and an audit to ensure they comply with UPS requirements.

Bit of a long-shot, but might be worth trying DHL... I remembered reading about lithium shipping on a web-site recently (PiHut) - see extract below ... though that company might also have a specific contract...

"For UK lithium shipments we sometimes need to add labelling or take additional packaging measures. In some scenarios we can't use Royal Mail services and instead have to ship via DHL courier and vice versa - it all depends on what's in your cart.
For example, we can't ship raw batteries via Royal Mail, and we can't use DHL to ship Lithium products to Scotland (as they don't have a road network outside of England/Wales).
"

DHL has a number of divisions seemingly doing the same thing as they have taken over different couriers over the years and kept them separate.

So DHL is not the same network as DHL Parcels UK, DHL Parcels UK do have a road network covering at least Southern Scotland.

Personally I would not touch them as I used them for a few months when in charge of a despatch dept, never had so many mis deliveries and destroyed goods. Got rid of them promptly except where the customer, like BMW, gave us no choice. Had documentary evidence of from DHL they dropped and destroyed £8000 of goods for delivery to BMW and never got a penny back even with BMW on the case.

I'll have a look at DHL - I think FedEx will also carry them. But their prices direct are far too high to make smaller shipments feasible.

@MisterB1959 /@solarsimon
I'm in Manchester. I hadn't thought too much about price, I was thinking ebay to see what sold at what price tbh.

But I guess about 2.50 a cell, 2 quid a cell if ordering over 50.

Last edited:
Back