diy solar

diy solar

Shortest wire path for three sets of three panels

Trukinbear

Hi, my roof is finally ready to accept our panels which have been on an ad hoc ground mount for the last year.
Going up on the roof first is what we'll refer to as 'Array A' which consists of 9 JA 330W 72cell poly panels.

These will be series/parallel in 3 sets of 3 panels.

They will be mounted vertically in two horizontal rows (one above the other) with the uppermost row having 5 panels, and the lower one 4 with both rows starting together on the left to be followed by an 'Array B' of another 3x3 set.

The panels are 77-1/8" tall, and 39" wide - mounted 1/2" apart in both vertical and horizontal.

The cables come from a junction box in the center of the topmost edge of the panel (on the back) and are 47-1/4" long (ea) terminating in Amphenol ATX connectors.

The three sets of three panels (ea) all need to come together to two three-to-one (one + one -) branch 'Y' connectors (6" long on Y side - 6" long on the single side)

The two rows are accessible from above or below the horizontal rows, but not from the leftmost edge other than at the top corner.

My question, what is the easiest pattern (topography) - junction box up, junction box down to wire these three sets so all 6 wires end up in the same general area to connect to the 2 triple Y adaptors?

I know this is probably one of those 'common knowledge' kind of things, but short of dragging these panels around in trial and error the pattern escapes me at the moment. Can anybody help?

That can depend on things like wire length. For two strings, I've interleave string A, string B, string A, string B ... because wires were long enough. Picked orientation to minimize added wires getting back to the box.
How long are the wires on the panels?

That can depend on things like wire length. For two strings, I've interleave string A, string B, string A, string B ... because wires were long enough. Picked orientation to minimize added wires getting back to the box.
How long are the wires on the panels?
47-1/4" like it says above, I guess I need to highlight that better.

47-1/4" like it says above, I guess I need to highlight that better.

A closed mouth gathers no foot.
I should have read your posting once, instead of skimming it twice.

It is a puzzle to fit and wire things, but how about this:

1599966447582.png

I think the wires are long enough except for one, going to Y connector on bottom - 12" short.

But look at where shading comes from. Decide whether you want it to hit several panels of one string, or one panel each of several strings, if you have flexibility. In which case you might use more jumper wires for a better layout dealing with shade.

I suppose you've selected a Y connector than can handle 30+ amps, and a charge controller for greater than about 158V.

View attachment 22569

I think the wires are long enough except for one, going to Y connector on bottom - 12" short.

But look at where shading comes from. Decide whether you want it to hit several panels of one string, or one panel each of several strings, if you have flexibility. In which case you might use more jumper wires for a better layout dealing with shade.

I suppose you've selected a Y connector than can handle 30+ amps, and a charge controller for greater than about 158V.
Thank you, that looks like it might work. Yes, my Y connector is rated for over 30 amps and my Classic 250's for much more than 158V.

View attachment 22569

Thank you for your help, yes the one wire is ~12" short.

Back