diy solar

diy solar

Should I replace my solar charge controller?

JBennettBus

I just replaced my SLA batteries with a LiFePo4 battery, a Li Time 12V 300AH. My current charge controller is an Epever Tracer 4210AN that's 3 years old and doesn't have a specific profile for lithium, although I think I have the "User" profile set up to work well enough with the new battery based on other posts in these forums.

I believe the newer 4210s include settings for lithium. The benefits of replacing my current one would be having a proper charge profile for lithium and having the old controller as a spare. The drawback is the extra cost, which isn't huge, but this has already been an expensive month for me. Should I get a new 4120AN? Just run with the old one? Or is there a better 40A 100V MPPT controller I should consider?

If it ain't broke...
Hard to go wrong with that philosophy.

I have to deal with sub-freezing temperatures occasionally, and this battery doesn't have low-temp protection, but I'm looking at some other solutions. I might add some insulation and a small heating pad, or flip the breaker between the panels and the controller if it's going to be a cold night. Maybe just strap the cats to the battery to keep it warm.

Back