diy solar

diy solar

Silent single phase inverter for rv roof top

mrpibb

Ok Im ready to add solar to my rv!!

My goals:
1. I want to be able to run a 1800w ac continuous during the day. (off at night)
2. Have the ability to (for a limited time) run a water heater, the ac, and a hot plate at the same time(5-6kw)
3. Plug into the grid without having to use manual switches

My constraints of the aluminum roof of the rv is 8 foot by 18 foot (flat roof no obstructions).
So I have determined for the most output possible I would like 4 panels of greater than 500w. (45x90 inch aprox)
There are several manufacturers with that large wattage.
I see that renology has a 550w panel for about $500
Also hyperion bifacial 540w from renvu.com for $295 a panel

I was thinking of using (16) 200A lifepo4 lithium cells from aliexpress for a 9600w 48v system. (I already have the cells.)

I want to be able to hook up the rv to the grid at the campground at the same time the panel charges the batteries.
I was looking at hybrid solar controllers such as the eg4: https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-8kw-hybrid-inverter-8000w-48v

However on YT, videos of the fans for these types of inverters were very loud! I will be sleeping next to the inverter.
So I looked into fanless inverters and found this solis inverter:

So I guess my question is would this system be compatible and will it satisfy my goals?
I will normally be plugged into the grid at camp sites and only need the solar to be used as a battery back up for when I am traveling.
Also, is there a better inverter than the solis for my needs?

Everything is off at night... if the fan makes noise with no load turn the inverter off too.

Can get a small 400 watt water heater element. Slow recovery but still have hot water. Hot plate? How many watts is that? Can other stuff be off a few minutes to cook? RV roof A/C or a super efficient mini-split? Probably get this down to a simple 3000w inverter and separate charge controller. Transfer switch is easy if the inverter does not have one.

May need more solar to run consecutive days without plugged in.

Just my random thoughts. Good luck.

The Solis HVES is a high voltage unit and runs closed loop with very few batteries.

You need a minimum of ~150V for the PV to even wake up the mppt's and battery is required for the backup port to be active. No battery, backup port is disabled / off.

You can run in the mode by voltage ( unsupported by manufacture ), but the voltage on the batteries needs to be above a minimum of 200V dc and maximum AC current is limited to 25 amps, and needs the appropriate DC wattage to do that. Also all versions ( 5kw,7.5kw and 10kw ) are identical for PV and Backup ( 6kw ) the wattage difference is what can be gridtie for export.

I own a pair, one as gridtie and one as battery backup with a 10kw BYD BatteryBox HV.

A solar charge controller that is independent of the inverter/charger works fine for charging the batteries at the same time. That's how my system is setup. My Victron Multiplus is totally silent when small loads are present. As the load increases, so does the fan, but it's still reasonable.

Keeping the inverter cool is important. The hotter it gets, the more likely it is to derate.

Back