diy solar

diy solar

Single voltage charge

Stircrazy

Ok, so I am already planning my next battery build for the 5th wheel now that the Camper is done. I am planning to put between 900 and 1200AH @12V into it (so 3 or 4 12V batteries in parallel. The 5th wheel already has an inverter and a converter that has the ability to be changed to an adjustable fixed voltage instead of a 3 stage unit.

my normal usage with the 5th wheel is with no hookups and using the solar panels to recharge the batteries (they are getting and upgrade also to about 1100 to 1200watts.) and I just leave the 5th wheel plugged in at home when not in use with the four 6V batteries that are in it now. I know I could just turn off the converter breaker when I am not using it for the batteries to not be on a constant float, but then I wouldn't be able to us any 12V systems in the rv. also when camping once and a while we do get full service sites when we want to be able to run the AC and such.

so my question is, is there a single voltage you could set the converter output to that wouldn't be an issue for a long term float, but would still allow me to have 12v power available when plugged in? Im not so much worried about the converter charging the batteries up to 100% as the solar can take care of that easy enough.

Thanks
Steve

If you have an adjustable voltage converter set it at 13.2 - 13.4 range to float a lithium when connected.

I just leave my converter off. The lithium & solar power the RV 24/7/365 when on the road or stored. Even plugged in running the A/C the 12v systems use the battery & solar only. Converter is only for some type of emergency or difficult conditions. Has been off for years.

You mention 6v batteries, what other batteries do you have?

I’m guessing a DIY of some sort of LiFePo cells?

If you have an adjustable voltage converter set it at 13.2 - 13.4 range to float a lithium when connected.

I just leave my converter off. The lithium & solar power the RV 24/7/365 when on the road or stored. Even plugged in running the A/C the 12v systems use the battery & solar only. Converter is only for some type of emergency or difficult conditions. Has been off for years.
ya, thats what I do in the camper, just don't charge at home, but I guess I could just use the solar at home on the 5th when I change it over.. just thought I could set the voltage at a lower value where it wouldn't matter.

You mention 6v batteries, what other batteries do you have?

I’m guessing a DIY of some sort of LiFePo cells?
ya the 6V in the 5th wheel are getting taken out and DIY LiFePo4 batteries are going in. probably 942AH worth with the new 314ah cells

Back