diy solar

diy solar

Six and a half years with no refrigerator ..

offgriddle

"FOREVER BEGINNING"
Well, technically I have had refrigeration courtesy of mother nature for approximately 6 months of every year, but now there's a new DC freezer in town, almost.

Frankly the new Whynter freezer belongs to my homestead neighbor who said I could freeze water jugs and rotate them out every few days to keep stuff cool in my cooler, but that was before I chided him for thinking he could run the freezer with his puny solar generator and it turns out I was right.

He's going to purchase a more powerful solar generator.

Side Note: Unlike most consumer products available today which are manufactured by the uber intelligent, technically savvy, energetic, resourceful, highly gainfully employed and diversely educated working citizenry of the United States of America, this freezer was manufactured in China. A highly rare find indeed.

Attachments

• IMG_20200519_205711.jpg
    IMG_20200519_205711.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 11
Alpicools cost less.

But while I could be a jerk and say what I just did, 2 years ago I was amazed compressors came in low amp 12v units AND were affordable. Was out of the loop then and caught up, like you are now. This season saw a full-size RV fridge with seperate fridge/freezer guy got for $500 new and it only drew 5 amps DC on surge. Met another who got a steel Engle 45q new in the box at a garage sale for $50.. there's no reason anymore to not have an affordable way to chill cheap beer.

Now look at 12v Diesel heaters when nights get cold..

Alpicools cost less.

But while I could be a jerk and say what I just did, 2 years ago I was amazed compressors came in low amp 12v units AND were affordable. Was out of the loop then and caught up, like you are now. This season saw a full-size RV fridge with seperate fridge/freezer guy got for $500 new and it only drew 5 amps DC on surge. Met another who got a steel Engle 45q new in the box at a garage sale for $50.. there's no reason anymore to not have an affordable way to chill cheap beer.

Now look at 12v Diesel heaters when nights get cold..

The neighbor reports that he researched many freezer choices and settled on a mid performance, medium priced unit from cheapo depot with product availability and "free" delivery being key factors. Because of discounts he claims to have spent about $450 which included "free" delivery to the door via parcel service.

I still do fantasize about having a RV refrigerator/freezer of my very own in my cabin one fine day after I've grown my PV generation and storage substantially to suppport such a luxury.

During the during the warmer months I will continue to find creative ways of keeping fruits and veggies crisp for a few days, graze in the gardens and perhaps soon begin begging for free ice from the neighbor's freezer.

Thanks for stopping by,

OG

Foto: April snow storm yay!

IMG_20200409_164609.jpg

When I tinkered for a year off grid, with a measly 100 watts of solar and a TON of car batteries for power... and an aincient kabota tractor alternator to cover weak sun days... I did without refrigeration... canned goods, and dry stuff for cooking, freshly bought meats each day, and no leftovers... out to eat when lazy...
I couldn’t do it today... I gots to have my ice cream and cold ice tea!

When I tinkered for a year off grid, with a measly 100 watts of solar and a TON of car batteries for power... and an aincient kabota tractor alternator to cover weak sun days... I did without refrigeration... canned goods, and dry stuff for cooking, freshly bought meats each day, and no leftovers... out to eat when lazy...
I couldn’t do it today... I gots to have my ice cream and cold ice tea!

First of all S.tech I am proud of you for at least taking a swing at living grid minimal. Again, I have maintained the position that there is no such a state of being as truly, "off grid", because even the wonderful products and supporting structures that we rely on to exist in our, "off grid", states of ecstasy ultimately come from grid sourced and produced suppliers.
To be truly off grid, one would have to live in the jungle wearing a banana leaf, dining on things like smoked grubs and using tools and shelter exclusively sourced from their natural surroundings.

Currently, I'm rocking 200 watts but hope to go to 400 in 2020.

Foto: The present state of sunniness which entirely supply's the power for small things like connectivity to the Wild Wild Web, all lighting, the powering and and charging of various and sundry electronic gizmos and my boom box with usually enough power left over to see what captain Kirk is up to on the LED TV!

For now I must bid you adieu as must go play the roll of essential personal and brave the monolithic governMENTAL power grab we benignly know as the 2020 flu panic epidemic. Can't want for the next one!

Peace, Og
IMG_20200521_075604.jpg

Oh this is rich, i can't wait to share this with the neighbor, (who fancies himself an extraordinarily gifted product researcher), it's going to be fun to watch a grown man cry and then make fun of that man for crying ...
I am SURE it is a scam, but it’s a USA address... idk... maybe?

Attachments

• EdgeStar.jpg
    EdgeStar.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1
That’s what I figured too... but there are two different sites listing them at that price...
I am SURE it is a scam, but it’s a USA address... idk... maybe?
Ok so 2 scam websites with fake info.
I cant be bothered doing a whois search on those websites but i bet they were just created.
Look at the other crap those scam websites list as selling.
Dont get too excited about a chance of buying a bargain fridge. Hahaha

Ok so 2 scam websites with fake info.
I cant be bothered doing a whois search on those websites but i bet they were just created.
Look at the other crap those scam websites list as selling.
Dont get too excited about a chance of buying a bargain fridge. Hahaha
Yeah, both sites are identical in every way... not clicking on ANYTHING on them...

And hey! They accept PayPal... it’s gotta be legit.
If thats really the PayPal site then the scammers hacked someones account.
They usually use Shopify.
You aint getting no $250 to $300 fridge for $100.
And you can buy your wife sexy undergarments with that fridge. Lolz

How can the 30 and 50liter models sell under $100?
Aplicool is kind of low end but i guess most of them work ok. Lots of 1 star Amazon reviews.
Iceco had a 30 day Kickstarter campaign for their new $500 3 in 1 42 liter 12 volt fridge so i just bought one for $260 shipped but wont get it until July.
Iceco also has an Indiegogo campaign still running but the price is $300 now.
My Iceco VL 45 Danfoss fridge has been running non stop for 10 months now and is built like a tank.

The old adage, "if it seems to good to be true it probably isn't", holds true especially during these desperate times of the mass pig scramble for credit rich auntie Samantha's debt backed, continually shrinking, federal reserve notes.
Foto: One of many extra beautiful Solarsets enjoyed during the corona flu panic's temporary, drastic, global, reduction of greenhouse gases generated by huperson activity.
IMG_20200510_194603.jpg

Back