diy solar

diy solar

Sizing and Design of System

Egnition Getaways

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and I thank you for taking a moment to review my proposed installation.
I am based in Ontario, Canada, so keep in mind when reviewing. I have created a diagram for you to review if you would be so kind as to give me your input. I want to primarily review the following items:

1. Should I install fusing on all of the Positive inputs and outputs on the Rover 40A Charge Controller? Probably a good idea.
  2. I plan to install 125A fuses on each battery, I can increase to 150A. Thoughts?
  3. I mis-sized the main breaker coming off of the (+) Bus bar. I should lower that to suit the Inverter I would assume (~200A) or leave as-is. Thoughts?
  4. I am considering upsizing my inverter to 3000w OR changing to a 3000W charger/inverter to hopefully solve my next point.
  5. I need to figure out the best way for incorporating my small 2200i Honda inverter generator in case the solar doesn't cut it.
    1. Option #1: Use the generator to feed some kind of battery charger 120VAC - 100VDC if such a thing exists. Run this through the Rover charge controller. Essentially turn the generator into the solar panel input.
    2. Option #2: Buy a charge controller similar to this unit CLICK HERE and use it to feed the batteries AND inverter. It is quite expensive. But I can use my 2000w inverter on another project.
    3. Option #3: Use AC to feed battery charger and tie directly onto the batteries. I am not sure if we can have multiple sources feeding batteries and charging them simultaneously. Sounds like a bad idea. Thoughts?
On another note, I was reviewing the Canadian electrical code for battery storage systems and it appears that once you go over 1000w with Lithium batteries it becomes a major headache. Hence, the reason why I'm using AGM. Does anyone find that is the case? Also, I am curious to see if anyone has used an Ecoflow unit inside of a bunkie or similar unit and had ESA approve it's use.

Attachments

• BUNKIE SOLAR SETUP.jpg
    BUNKIE SOLAR SETUP.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 13
  • BUNKIE SOLAR SETUP.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 5
It looks like you have a 12 volt system, is this correct?

If so you can keep it pretty simple by getting a charger that plugs into your Honda 2200 and connect the leads from the charger to your battery bank.

With the Honda I believe that you’ll be limited to 15 amps output continuous. That’s a fair amount of run time to replace say 200 ah. If you add a second Honda 2200 and parallel the two, you could charge the batts at 30 amps continuous.

I did something similar with my first system before going to a full house 48v DC system.

I had the quick charge company build me a 3 stage charger to the specs of my 12 volt battery bank.

Here’s a link.

https://www.quickcharge.com/

Last edited:
This is my first system as well so I'm not sure if going with a 12V system was the way to go. That's a good idea @wheelman55 ! It would be a long runtime to achieve a charge. I would like to be able to charge the batteries as fast and as equally as possible.

From what I could tell, I could not see any other generators that had DC output on them. Perhaps there may be another model or unit that would work.

I have reached out to Quickcharge. To see if they can offer anything.

Any other input is appreciated.

Sorry that I wasn’t clear regarding charging with the Honda.

DO NOT USE the 12 volt charge ports. Plug the quick charge unit into one of the AC outlets on the Honda.

The dc from the Hondas is very low quality. The Honda ac on the other hand is excellent.

Try calling quick charge to chat. They might not understand what you want from an email.

Rover 40A Charge Controller

If you haven’t bought this yet or within the return window, I highly recommend not using any renogy rover controller. Too many headaches. Get an Epever or Victron instead.

If you intend to use it, be sure to read the LONG thread about its problems. There are workarounds, but this thing is basically a piece of junk. 30A/40A/60A/100A models all the same problems.

Post in thread 'Renogy 40a mppt Li settings'
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/renogy-40a-mppt-li-settings.46856/post-856163

Back