diy solar

diy solar

Skip the BMS (separate port) to charge Li-ion cell of my solar bike from MPPT

amisi

Hi,

I have 240 Wc Solar Panel with a MPPT boost (CTKEV300). The battery of my e-bike is 19.2 Ah 36 V (4p10s) and the BMS on it is 5 amp recharging, which I find quite conservative for 19.2 Ah Li-Ion. I think I could charge 6.5- 7 Amp without damaging the cells. (36*5 = 180 W, 42*5 = 205 W) so more sun power than what can BMS do).

First, do you agree with that or would advise me to buy a new battery with more capacity for my 240 Wc Solar Panel ?

I do not know the exact spec of the BMS and head charging, if they're fused, cut off and how to restart it when it happen for I have not open the battery yet for the warranty.

I have two solutions :

- Buying a new BMS with over 7 amp capacity for the charge and replace the current BMS. My last solution, because I plan a trip with this bike for several weeks very soon.

- Charging by output. Solar panel probably will never produce more than 260 W at peak sun and my MPPT can have a limit at 42 V. Do I take some risk for me or for the battery in this case ?

If None of these, solutions is good, I could limit the max current by some ways but that is not my main idea.

Thank you for your opinion

Consider that you won't get the 240W out of the panel except in perfect conditions (i.e. never). You can count at around 80% in near optimal real use case, so the BMS you have is fine.

Consider that you won't get the 240W out of the panel except in perfect conditions (i.e. never). You can count at around 80% in near optimal real use case, so the BMS you have is fine.
I would prefer to be confident with that information. I might go in area where the sun lights a lot (South of spain, Morocco) so that could happen :). And I cannot test in those area because I am not there at the moment :p

I would prefer to be confident with that information. I might go in area where the sun lights a lot (South of spain, Morocco) so that could happen :). And I cannot test in those area because I am not there at the moment :p

It's also hot in those places, so your panel efficiency will drop significantly.

Back