diy solar

diy solar

SMA SB1200 start up voltage ( Vpv-start adjust )

AndyBristol

Hi all, first time poster and newbee to this forum, I have a roof mounted solar system which is grid tied and runs through a FIT meter so I cannot alter that system (to my knowledge without messing up my old high rate FIT tariff). I want to add a secondary system to my property by mounting 3 or 4 new panels (JA Solar 420W panels only £62 retail), problem I have is the inverter I've acquired for free is a SMA Sunny Boy SB1200, from reading on tinternet the start voltage is adjustable but has a default of 120V start up.... As you will have probably guessed 3 or 4 panels ain't going to give me 120V. Anyone on here had or have experience of how to adjust the Vpv setting on this inverter. I'm going to try SMA but not sure if they will assist a "non Professional installer" due to health and safety etc... usual excuses companies give. Thanking you in advance for your help and thoughts on this OR if you know of a suitable "cheap..ish" inverter that'll do the job.

You will need a RS485 piggy back card, rs485 to usb adaptor, laptop with Sunny Data Control software installed.

This can be used to get down to 100v but your panels Vmp =31.73V so you need 4 panels and preferably 5.

Last edited:
Back