diy solar

diy solar

SMA "Windy Boy" grid tie inverter

Ptom

Solar Enthusiast
This NOT a wind turbine post, well sort of, more a grid tie inverter post.
Although the name would lead one to believe it was specifically designed for wind turbines, it's specs show otherwise? Picture attached, I see nothing to make me thing it wouldn't work with the variable power produced by a wind turbine. Mine, produced in 2004, discontinued some years ago by SMA as PV "took over" from wind, has performed great since 2005, in conjunction with my 2500 watt A.R.E. grid tied wind turbine, up until a few days ago anyway. The turbine (3 bladed 12' dia., low RPM) is working fine, it always has, at least the power is still getting to the control box. It enters the box as 3 phase power (I believe, 3 wires anyway) and from there either is shunted to the dump load enclosure nearby, or to the SMA inverter. Without being able to trouble shoot the control box (quite complex, no longer supported, picture included) and with all indications being it is working as designed, the inverter itself, being 19 years old, may be the issue.

I am strongly tempted to buy a Fronius 3.8 KW inverter (just bought one a few months ago for my PV system, after the 16 year old original one stopped working, due to a minor glitch caused by water intrustion according to the person I sold it to who had the ability to trouble shoot it. I'd hook it up, boot it up and stand back and see what happens. If it still doesn't work, then I know the problem lies in the control box, and I wasted my money on a new inverter. But I could EBAY it and get much of my money back, and it would be the simplest way for this non techie guy to maybe get the system back up. The inverter shows no error signals, a steady green light would seem to indicate all is well, but the meter reads zero. I suppose I could also take it down the hill to where my current grid tied PV is, disconnect the inverter there and re-connect the Windy Boy, and see what happens. Thinking this thru as I type it, that's what I'm going to do, and IF the Windy Boy inverter still doesn't properly boot up, then I'll know it's the problem and I'm back to the issue of whether or not a inverter meant for PV would work for this wind turbine's system, here's the specs: I can't see why not.

Attachments

• IMG_20230417_092754774.jpg
    IMG_20230417_092754774.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230417_153939736_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230417_153939736_HDR.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 8

diy solar

diy solar
Back