diy solar

diy solar

Small Footprint Panels Needed, Recommendations?

I think things are getting on the right track here

I’m my experience efficiency of panel is less important that efficiency of space used. Finding the right panels to Tetris into your available space is going to be key

Great point! I think this is spot on. A panel that is a few % more efficient is only beneficial if you can fit an equal or greater number of panels in the space. Tetris is a great analogy

Not beatin’ on ya but why Bouge instead of rich or windy for the same size and less moula? Curious. I have my answer but I want your answer

Not beatin’ on ya but why Bouge instead of rich or windy for the same size and less moula? Curious. I have my answer but I want your answer
They fit in my area better. The BougeRV are a bit narrower. I can fit four accross where the Rich panels I could have only fit 3.

They fit in my area better. The BougeRV are a bit narrower. I can fit four accross where the Rich panels I could have only fit 3.
Got it.
The split cells are a theoretical advantage is what I thought of

That is a nice touch as well.
Will we hear back on the actual output of those cells? I'm curious, even though I have the dozen Newpowa panels I mentioned above. I'm counting on mine never exceeding 1040 watts, the limit listed for my Tracer AN 40A, (I have no plans to drive my minivan to the equator). If my dozen panels ever put out 100 watts, or even 90 watts, it would be over the limit, and I would be buying a Tracer AN 50A, I guess.

I looked at the Tracer BN, but went with the AN. It has a lithium battery preset, although it might not be accessible from the front panel (I can't remember, and the panel on mine failed), so there goes that advantage. I use the USB adapter cable and the PC software for tuning it anyway, even before the LCD quit. I have added an MT-50, but I only use it as a monitor, haven't invested the time to learn if it can adjust parameters finely enough to matter, not least because it inexplicably turns off the "load" output when I start pushing buttons, which doesn't work for me because in my test configuration, I have a mobile refrigerator and mobile freezer connected to the load output (that's a bad plan for a permanent installation, IMHO). The (free) PC software is not a marvel of user-friendliness either, but, it has some features which are perhaps worth the time, like a running chart of the last couple of hours of solar and load voltages and currents, or power. I guess all that works with the BN as well as the AN?

Oh. My panels are wired series parallel, with only two in series, so they can't go over the Tracer AN's (lower) limit of 100V.

For my testbed, I'm using:

There should be inline fuses, but I haven't got to that yet. Also I have purchased breakers:

and a box for them:

I haven't tested those last two yet.

I won't recommend my wiring scheme for heavy weather, but, it's handy and cheap, and has been working for a while for testing. I just string pairs of panels, then parallel them at the pair of adapters, then back to the controller on the #10 AWG "Solar Extension Cable".

BTW, does anyone know if it's possible to get replacement Tracer AN front panel displays? The swap would be trivial for me, if I could find one. Full disclosure: I haven't asked Epever, only the vendor I purchased from.

Last edited:
Will we hear back on the actual output of those cells? I'm curious, even though I have the dozen Newpowa panels I mentioned above. I'm counting on mine never exceeding 1040 watts, the limit listed for my Tracer AN 40A, (I have no plans to drive my minivan to the equator). If my dozen panels ever put out 100 watts, or even 90 watts, it would be over the limit, and I would be buying a Tracer AN 50A, I guess.

I looked at the Tracer BN, but went with the AN. It has a lithium battery preset, although it might not be accessible from the front panel (I can't remember, and the panel on mine failed), so there goes that advantage. I use the USB adapter cable and the PC software for tuning it anyway, even before the LCD quit. I have added an MT-50, but I only use it as a monitor, haven't invested the time to learn if it can adjust parameters finely enough to matter, not least because it inexplicably turns off the "load" output when I start pushing buttons, which doesn't work for me because in my test configuration, I have a mobile refrigerator and mobile freezer connected to the load output (that's a bad plan for a permanent installation, IMHO). The (free) PC software is not a marvel of user-friendliness either, but, it has some features which are perhaps worth the time, like a running chart of the last couple of hours of solar and load voltages and currents, or power. I guess all that works with the BN as well as the AN?

Oh. My panels are wired series parallel, with only two in series, so they can't go over the Tracer AN's (lower) limit of 100V.

For my testbed, I'm using:

There should be inline fuses, but I haven't got to that yet. Also I have purchased breakers:

and a box for them:

I haven't tested those last two yet.

I won't recommend my wiring scheme for heavy weather, but, it's handy and cheap, and has been working for a while for testing. I just string pairs of panels, then parallel them at the pair of adapters, then back to the controller on the #10 AWG "Solar Extension Cable".

BTW, does anyone know if it's possible to get replacement Tracer AN front panel displays? The swap would be trivial for me, if I could find one. Full disclosure: I haven't asked Epever, only the vendor I purchased from.
I will try to provide some feedback once I get the system up and running (not sure how soon that will be).

I would recommend reaching out to Epever to see if that would be something they would cover under warranty.

20220528_111244.jpghere is what I'm seeing from these panels. These are my two 6 panel arrays (port and starboard).
I will try to provide some feedback once I get the system up and running (not sure how soon that will be).

I would recommend reaching out to Epever to see if that would be something they would cover under warranty.
20220528_111244.jpghere is what I'm seeing from these panels. These are my two 6 panel arrays (port and starboard).

These just showed up on Amazon up here, shingled glass panels. they claim a smaller footprint per watt-no idea if they meet specs.....
Calculate W/m^2 using 150W and dimensions 38.8*38.8*1.2inch (98.5*98.5*3 cm):

150 / (.985*.985) = 154.6

I have 200W panels measuring 39in^ which converts to .9906m
200 / (.9906*.9906) = 203.8

The 150W is 50W worse per m^2

Back