diy solar

diy solar

Small high-voltage panels for portable 48vdc based rig?

copec

Solar Enthusiast
I have a bunch of individual batteries I've made that I can attach or detach from my main house battery and are 48v (~51.8v nominal 14s). I've been using an individual "pure sine wave inverter" and boost mppt charger when I use it on the road, but am going to replace those with an AIO inverter. I wonder if anyone makes larger panels with a bunch of cut up cells in series to get up into the 150vdc range or so? It looks like I might just have to series a bunch of small 12v rated panels, but I figured I would ask if anybody knows of something first?

As long as the voltage of your PV's configuration is 5 volts over the voltage of the battery, the voltage of individual panels doesn't matter. A 12 volt panel typically doesn't produce only 12 volts, it's higher than that.

While I haven't gone out looking for it, I've never seen a commonly available panel that comes close to 100 volts.

As long as the voltage of your PV's configuration is 5 volts over the voltage of the battery, the voltage of individual panels doesn't matter. A 12 volt panel typically doesn't produce only 12 volts, it's higher than that.

While I haven't gone out looking for it, I've never seen a commonly available panel that comes close to 100 volts.
Yeah, Their peak output is usually at ~18V or so, the reason I cited 12 volt panel is that they are the most common battery voltage charging target for small panels. I think I'm to get 10x50W panels and mount them together in series on something small I could wheel around. Then I could use a converted extension chord for which I could place them a ways off if I needed to, and the higher string voltage is most efficient for HF AIO inverters to convert to AC, in attempting to maximize direct energy usage when the sun is out.

There are currently a couple 400+ Watt panels with Voc above 80V for sale on Craigslist in northern Ohio.

But, they are 72 cell sized.

Back