diy solar

diy solar

Smart BMS software - not displaying correct SOC

itsallgood

My smart bms s/w on android is showing my battery at 100% charged while the voltage is at 13.4. A renogy battery monitor is reporting 84% which is more realistic.
I guess I missed something during the initial BMS setup. How do I set it to report correct SOC? Battery is 4 x eve 280Ah cells. Software is configured for correct cell type and Ah.
I see there are some resets in the app but I can't find any documentation explaining the app settings. It doesn't appear to affect the BMS operation but I would like it to be close at least.

You need to cycle (discharge and then fully charge) a few times for the BMS to synchronize to the battery. Any time you change any parameters in the BMS you will need to do this again.

You need to cycle (discharge and then fully charge) a few times for the BMS to synchronize to the battery. Any time you change any parameters in the BMS you will need to do this again.
Thanks for responding. Odd that you can't manually indicate a full charge and be done with it. I will discharge them then. Thanks.

Your voltage of 13.4 may be very near full capacity. Once rested or with a very small load the volts drop very quickly to voltage of that order. Typically 13.4 volts is 99% capacity, or greater, on a resting battery.

On the android app its possible to force ,'reset capacity'.
On the 'Function settings' page, select 'reset capacity.

The BMS uses values in the 'Parameter settings' page, under, 'Capacity Parameters to 'guess' capacity. There are values for 'full', 80%,60%,40%,20%. The default values in the BMS may be OK or use the values suggested in the resources section.
The Renogy capacity monitor is a poor guess, I suggest you ignore.

In summary, don't confuse the charging voltage with the resting voltage of the battery, the charge volts will be higher. To give the cells a less stressful charge regime, charge to a target of 13.8 volts or slightly higher
13.9, 14.0, with a short absorption period.

Mike

Back