diy solar

diy solar

So where is the best place (via USA) to order Grade A 320/302/280ah EVE/CATL batteries from?

beowulf

Looking to build a few sets of 16 cells 48v setups for home. Are there any sellers in US that sell brand new.. reputable, and you dont end up with bloated or lied about batteries?

Is it worth the price taking the risk on Alibaba or Amazon?

My list of grade A vendors with Test Reports:

Ezeal
Sunfunkits
18650batterystore
currentconnected

All 4 have test reports, btw, Ezeal is actually Docan, I don't recommend buying under the docan label too many issues, however, ezeal is legit.

For Alibaba:
Luyuan

Avoid 280K cells regardless if they are grade A or B.

That's it everyone else should be avoided on alibaba and aliexpress.

Are there any sellers in US that sell brand new.. reputable, and you dont end up with bloated or lied about batteries?

Looking to build a few sets of 16 cells 48v setups for home. Are there any sellers in US that sell brand new.. reputable, and you dont end up with bloated or lied about batteries?

I bought 3 seperate orders of 16X230AH CATL batteries from EEL batteries which were cali stocked and got them fast

Hi,

my vote is for sunfunkits, I ordered 16 cells and during assembly I dropped and damaged 1 of my cells, it was damaged beyond repair and sun fun kits sent me a replacement cell from the sctrach and dent section at no charge. I only paid about $20.00 in shipping. Replacement cell has a dent on it but its charging fine.

for those interested here is what happened: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/can-i-save-this-cell-or-is-it-dumpster.65854/#post-836045 I'm hoping someone will come up with a way I can save the cell that was damaged, but for now I just have it in a ziplock bag near the garage.

My list of grade A vendors with Test Reports:

Ezeal
Sunfunkits
18650batterystore
currentconnected

All 4 have test reports, btw, Ezeal is actually Docan, I don't recommend buying under the docan label too many issues, however, ezeal is legit.

For Alibaba:
Luyuan

Avoid 280K cells regardless if they are grade A or B.

That's it everyone else should be avoided on alibaba and aliexpress.
Wondering why docan isn't just using their docan brand name to sell good cells..

As a friendly reminder to all, by the end of this year, 40 states in the USA will have adopted NEC2020 which includes UL9540 requirements for energy storage systems. This means in many location, the entire DYI of batteries would no longer be an acceptable ( allowed ) option.

Just keep in mind posts like talking about 10+ year expectations for payback maybe a mute point and that for many reasons those batteries would be "retired" long before there useful life would make that necessary.

Stay informed and always verify claims on what can actually be done and remain code compliant before one purchases any components for an energy storage system, the sellers of today have only one goal, to sell parts, not inform purchasers of what can be done with them.

As a friendly reminder to all, by the end of this year, 40 states in the USA will have adopted NEC2020 which includes UL9540 requirements for energy storage systems. This means in many location, the entire DYI of batteries would no longer be an acceptable ( allowed ) option.

Just keep in mind posts like talking about 10+ year expectations for payback maybe a mute point and that for many reasons those batteries would be "retired" long before there useful life would make that necessary.

Stay informed and always verify claims on what can actually be done and remain code compliant before one purchases any components for an energy storage system, the sellers of today have only one goal, to sell parts, not inform purchasers of what can be done with them.
I'd love to see the folks at SS post a write up on the hoops they had to jump through to get their batteries all certified and stamped and such. I'm assuming it's a helluva process.

I'd love to see the folks at SS post a write up on the hoops they had to jump through to get their batteries all certified and stamped and such. I'm assuming it's a helluva process.

I know what it cost BYD to do this for Solis, North of $250K in just the costs for the testing ( excluding the manufactures time and efforts ) just the fees for the actually testing / verifications at the test centers.

I don't think you need to do all these for Off-grid use. Plus isn't the new thing UL 1950? Also the fees are about 25K/test so a 250, they must have had 10 tests done.

Why avoid 280k cells?

Long story, but if you want to search you'll find the 280K pulls marginal AH capacity. E.G. generally in the upper 270 like 276-278. These are for grade A cells with test reports that usually state capacity test in the 290 range. Grade B 280K were in the mid to low 260...

Its a clear contrast to the old 280N which easily tested in mid 290s all day long (the ones with test reports). The old 280N even grade B generally tested in the 278ish range. So many people view the 280K as actually a 270K.

304 is also good, usually testing in the mid 310 like 314.

EVE is supposed to come out with a version 3 of this cell to address these problems, word on the street is they test like the original 280N did, mid 290s.

One thing to remember is that the 280K has double the usage life of 6000 cycles vs the 3000 of the 304 or the original 280N. Currently Most US vendors have V1 or V2 of this cell.

SS sells kits/racks that have 4 or more 5.12kWh batteries too…

Back