diy solar

diy solar

SOK 206AH BATTERY CONCERNS

My friend has the Metro ordered. He should get it in April. He as ZERO plans of adding more solar. Makes no sense.
I think you may mean the Ford Transit build that STO produces. Congrats in advance to your friend.
Yes, I kind of agree, it may not make sense to ad solar. Unless the massive alternator fails.
OR if I do ever end up getting one and want to run AC in the day while parked out in 100f+ heat in moab or wherever it may make sense to have some solar help to extend battery use, so as not to have to start the vehicle and burn fuel sooner. 400-600 watts isn’t huge in comparison, but it’s something.
I really don’t have use for the deck as I my ninja skills have diminished somewhat lately and I don’t feel the need to get up 9.5 ft -10ft (after tire and suspension upgrades) on top of it. My current sprinter 4x4 is in that realm, no thanks on getting up top. So imagine if you arrived the night before to a warm location, set up camp, ran the ac some overnight, made coffee and breakfast using the electric system, the fridge has been cycling a bit more than normal of course during this time. Now it’s 8am, ambient temp is warming up, going for a hike or mtb ride. But your gf wants to just chill or maybe has some editing or other office /studio work to do for a while.
So the ac may be on relatively early in the day.
Once you’ve set up camp in some places you don’t always want to pick everything up to go for a drive to charge the system. And idling these modern diesels is not good for them.
So there it is, reasons/scenario one may want to add solar even IF they have a STO Volta or similar system.

Last edited:
I think you may mean the Ford Transit build that STO produces. Congrats in advance to your friend.
Yep the 4WD Ford Transit. He did not want to deal with the Mercedes Sprinter diesel and I don't blame him one bit. I would never buy a diesel.

Yep the 4WD Ford Transit. He did not want to deal with the Mercedes Sprinter diesel and I don't blame him one bit. I would never buy a diesel.
The Transit is actually an AWD. Performs well from what I’ve heard.
And yeah diesels aren’t for everyone…

The Transit is actually an AWD.
LOL...close enough.

Diesels, especially Mercedes diesels, are good if you aren't hundreds of miles from a dealer when you break down. Friend of mine had a bad wiring harness in his. Had to get towed 500 miles and had to wait 6 months for a wiring harness. One of the reasons the Metro is in such high demand.

LOL...close enough.

Diesels, especially Mercedes diesels, are good if you aren't hundreds of miles from a dealer when you break down. Friend of mine had a bad wiring harness in his. Had to get towed 500 miles and had to wait 6 months for a wiring harness. One of the reasons the Metro is in such high demand.
sounds like your sold on Metro
all good each their own.

Back