diy solar

diy solar

SOK Low temperature reconnect

allanstephj

I recently had my battery a 280Ah with built into heater in the cold, when I tried to connect to the battery it is not broadcasting Bluetooth. The voltage on the terminals is 11VDC until I try and charge it and it drops to ~2VDC. I think the low temp cut off is active, I have had it in above freezing conditions for 2 days and it still won’t turn on, I have tried connecting to the charger to wake it up but it doesn’t work.

What temperature does the battery have to get to to wake up? How long does it have to be at this temperature?

Sok site says info below. 4f should allow it but maybe it's 4c which is 39f.

I don't understand. You're saying the battery is at 11v but when you hook a charger up it drops to 2v? Is anything else hooked up, like an inverter? What's the voltage of the charger not hooked to battery? Sounds like a bad charger or won't start if the battery is dead as some protection. You likely need something 13v or so inline to wake up the BMS and charger and battery.

Discharge Temperature -4 to 140 ºF

Charge Temperature 4 to 113 ºF (built-in heater pad)

Storage Temperature 23 to 95 ºF

For some reason I think that they have to warm up above 40 F internally to reset the cold shut down.

To get the interior of the battery back up to 40 F, it might need to be in closer to 50 F temperatures for a day.

Yes, I have read many reports of cold temp shutdown where you have to get above a relatively high trigger to let it start charging again, 38 or 39f. And seen this in several Operating Manuals.

It is due to this that I am adamantly against having low temp battery protection on trolling motor batteries. At least ones without always-connected solar. You can discharge down to -4f usually, so long as some stupid cold protection doesn't brick your battery on you, halfway across a lake, in the early morning at 25f while hunting... Don't use cold temp protection in your small craft trolling setups for fishing and hunting!

Thanks for the replies. Brought the battery inside for two days to get it above the low temp cut off, still no luck getting the battery to wake up or communicate via Bluetooth.

Emailed SOK and they said that they have had a number of issues with their BMS and they are sending out a new module.

However, I am not convinced this will solve the issue and doesn’t help as I am currently traveling in the RV.

The battery had 10.8VDC on the terminals until any load or charge is placed on it then the battery shuts down to ~2VDC until the capacitance drains to 0VDC.

I have tried it plugged into a 20A 120VDC charger, a Victron 50/100 MPPT solar charger and the alternator of the RV which is 120A output. Nothing “wakes” the battery up and it won’t accept charge.

Back