Sol-Ark 15k Outdoor vs Indoor

Best to run Sol-Ark 15k in Wisconsin

• Inside a building

• Outside a building

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

byteharmony

Sunny side up please.
With the Sol-Ark's abilities I'm considering running it outdoors right where my current electrical meters are (see photo) to:

1. Keep noise down
  2. Reduce heat created in my home in the summer
  3. Reduce wire lengths for all the stuff
  4. Remove the need to rewire my current electrical panel (I'd like to add another electrical panel while I do this)

My concerns are:

1. Electrical equipment in the sun (it is facing south)
  2. Temperatures (I live in Wisconsin)
  3. Something I don't know

What are your thoughts

Attachments

• 20220729_152327.jpg
    20220729_152327.jpg
    447 KB · Views: 17
The screen is not rated for direct sunlight.
Other than that, you should be fine.

The screen is not rated for direct sunlight.

Is a simple fix to put a small outdoor openable enclosure around it to avoid direct sunlight entirely.

This could also create a heat shield to reduce device operating temp in the summer and increase it in the winter.

I would not cover the sides of the inverter. Just build a cover out of three pieces of Plywood and some 2x2 supports and a pair of hinges.
It will just cover the top front and bottom and allow normal airflow on both sides.

Here is something I quickly did in MS paint.

Correction this would work for the 12K but for the 15K you would need the Top and Bottom open and just let it swing like a regular door.

Sol-Ark_Cover.jpg

Last edited:
My concerns are:

1. Electrical equipment in the sun (it is facing south)
  2. Temperatures (I live in Wisconsin)
I would avoid putting _any_ inverter in full sun south facing. I have seen so many inverters cutting down the power because of too high internal temps because of direct sunlight. Apart from direct heating of the device, but the temp of the air around the inverter will be higher so it will have much more troubles staying cool.
I would try and avoid it.

I would not cover the sides of the inverter. Just build a cover out of three pieces of Plywood and some 2x2 supports and a pair of hinges.
It will just cover the top front and bottom and allow normal airflow on both sides.

Here is something I quickly did in MS paint
View attachment 104662

15k vents out the top. The other Sol-Arks (12k, etc.) vent out the sides.

I think cool stable temps are best along with air circulation -Mine is in a insulated outbuilding pretty stable temps year around

Last edited:
15k vents out the top. The other Sol-Arks (12k, etc.) vent out the sides.
Darn your right, I was thinking he got a 12K and forgot the thread title.
Anyway it's even easier to just put in wood side panels, leave the top and bottom exposed and let the door swing open. Also easier to put a small cabinet lock on it to keep anyone from messing with the settings.

I never thought of using a small Panel to provide shade and power for ventilation at the same time!
YOU sir gave me a great Idea!
Be careful with that plan!
You would need a fan that can match the combined power of the ones in the Sol-Ark at full speed and you need a battery to power that Fan at night. Since the unit is completely outdoor rated I would just leave the Top and Bottom open and let it do the cooling on it's own.

Last edited:
Wisconsin gets super cold in winter and super hot in summer. Not good for electronics in either case
Place the unit inside and run wires to main panel

My concern about inside is great in summer, noise all day and having to do panel rewiring.

I just picked up one of these with the thermal couple in:

I'm thinking a box to act as a great shield from the sun and then that fan at the top to pull cool air in.

I have this same system in a test environment and I'm very happy with it.

The inverter internal fans run a lot less and the whole rig is cooler. Other same model machines in my testing have had fans fail and melted. Heat is a big deal.

So is cold.

I use these with a lot of success:

GONLEN Tuya WiFi Temperature... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y5H6H37?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

In the winter I'd consider capping to of the box to avoid snow and retain Temps up to around 50. Kinda like a wood smoker vent.

Ask Sol-Ark what the combine CFM is for the three Fans in the unit. I am sure that one 120mm fan is not going to cut it.

I think you are making this way more complicated than it needs to be. They made the thing for outdoor use with only one caveat. Don't get direct sunlight on the LCD screen! They give a ten year warranty and they don't mention warnings about outdoor temperature. I just looked at the Specs and it can work without any De-rating between -40F and 113F. It's absolute high temp is 140F with some De-rating.

Are your temps going to go below or above that and even if they are for a day or two it just means the Inverter loses some efficiency. Anyway your call. Indoors would be the best but if your putting it outdoors then just make sure the screen is not getting scorched. Some guy had a Youtube video of a 12K outdoors and all he did was put Velcro around the screen and what looked like thin piece of Ply over the screen itself.

Ask Sol-Ark what the combine CFM is for the three Fans in the unit. I am sure that one 120mm fan is not going to cut it.

I think you are making this way more complicated than it needs to be. They made the thing for outdoor use with only one caveat. Don't get direct sunlight on the LCD screen! They give a ten year warranty and they don't mention warnings about outdoor temperature. I just looked at the Specs and it can work without any De-rating between -40F and 113F. It's absolute high temp is 140F with some De-rating.

Are your temps going to go below or above that and even if they are for a day or two it just means the Inverter loses some efficiency. Anyway your call. Indoors would be the best but if your putting it outdoors then just make sure the screen is not getting scorched. Some guy had a Youtube video of a 12K outdoors and all he did was put Velcro around the screen and what looked like thin piece of Ply over the screen itself.
The velcro screen idea is much appreciated. I'll use that first.

I giggle at the idea of one fan..I ordered one just to test the model and thermal couple performance. I'd probably have 6 on production. I'd rather replace A $15 Amazon fan than open that solark to replace one of those.

Maybe yes, over thinking, Temps sun and weather here are brutal.

If you have ever rented a movie from Redbox. They have the same issue with their screen. They usually have a flap of canvas type material that hangs in front of the screen.

Last edited:
Brutal weather conditions or some longer wire runs-its no brainer for me but heck I'm the guy who sent back my 12kw Sol-Ark in for repair-no fun

Just had a dream about how to mix series and paralleled used panels to get the wattage I want for solar input that match the 15k limits and give me the higher voltages needed to reduce wire size during dc power transmission distances.

This project is evolving like a dream.

On the sunlight front. I'm planning on the shorter term solution of cover the screen.

Longer term I want to clone this kind of setup for Mt junk test systems. (See photo)

It keeps the electronics protected from the outdoors better, creates an artificial cooler environment in the summer and retains warmth in the most brutal winter.

In my tests I've both melted these toys from load / heat and had them fail due to the little crappy fan dying. Nothing has ever failed with a secondary cooling system.

I'm not in any way saying this test gear is good solar power stuff. I purchased it to learn more about what I wanted to buy when I scaled up the system.

Attachments

• 20220801_094018.jpg
    20220801_094018.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 12
Back