diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark relay based alternative for critical loads

Bdaalex

Hello all...

I have a Sol-Ark 15k unit up and running, wired for whole home backup, with both DC and AC coupled solar.... the AC going to the gen input. This means I cannot have a critical loads panel. This does not worry me hugely, but it is possible that a power outage could come at a time when I have a home load of over 15kw (or 12kw at night) and cause the sol-ark to shut down. My main risk of this is my car charger which operates at a very high wattage. I have it set as low as is practical right now, but that's not ideal.

I have a sub panel next to my meter that powers my charger and largest AC compressors. Without these, the chances of overloading the Sol-Ark are very remote. I am considering running sensor wires from the meter to the coil of a 240v 75amp relay (contactor of the type for AC compressors) and wiring that sub panel through the main contacts of the relay. This would cause that meter to be shut down instantly, I would assume before it trips the Sol-Ark. Just in case anyone suggests it, I do NOT want that panel to bypass the sol-ark entirely as it would kill my grid independence on a normal night.

thoughts?

Alex

Last edited:
Hello all...

I have a Sol-Ark 15k unit up and running, wired for whole home backup, with both DC and AC coupled solar.... the AC going to the gen input. This means I cannot have a critical loads panel. This does not worry me hugely, but it is possible that a power outage could come at a time when I have a home load of over 15kw (or 12kw at night) and cause the sol-ark to shut down. My main risk of this is my car charger which operates at a very high wattage. I have it set as low as is practical right now, but that's not ideal.

I have a sub panel next to my meter that powers my charger and largest AC compressors. Without these, the chances of overloading the Sol-Ark are very remote. I am considering running sensor wires from the meter to the coil of a 240v 75amp relay (contactor of the type for AC compressors) and wiring that sub panel through the main contacts of the relay. This would cause that meter to be shut down instantly, I would assume before it trips the Sol-Ark. Just in case anyone suggests it, I do NOT want that panel to bypass the sol-ark entirely as it would kill my grid independence on a normal night.

thoughts?

Alex
Sounds like you need the grid output to go to your main panel and load to go to a critical loads panel.

From scanning the manual I believe the setting is "limited to home" . You must install cts

So doesn't that mean the main panel is also the critical loads panel? Isn't that the point of whole home backup?
Yes, without a single line drawing is difficult to be certain, it sounds like BOTH the Main and Subpanels are backed up by the Sol-Ark so essentially everything is backed up not just the critical loads. Generac attempted to solve this problem by utilizing load control relays to shed large loads so that the main panel could be used as critical loads panel without the need to install a new subpanel.

Sol-Ark is supposed to have a 14 circuit Smart Controller that does the same thing, cuts power to non critical loads in an outage. Maybe its not available yet??

Yes, without a single line drawing is difficult to be certain, it sounds like BOTH the Main and Subpanels are backed up by the Sol-Ark so essentially everything is backed up not just the critical loads. Generac attempted to solve this problem by utilizing load control relays to shed large loads so that the main panel could be used as critical loads panel without the need to install a new subpanel.

Sol-Ark is supposed to have a 14 circuit Smart Controller that does the same thing, cuts power to non critical loads in an outage. Maybe its not available yet??
I think he has solark only going to main panel now and wants to add a critical loads subpanel

You just need a relay to turn off a breaker panel. Like you said. You can always put n a bypass switch to manually turn on the relay, if you need that panel live again in a power outage. Maybe you can use one of the contacts in the solark to control the relay?

thanks for all the replies, but i must not have explained well... basic diagram attached. the "critical loads panel", marked with an asterix, is an outside panel that sits parallel to the main panel and rest of the house. Physically, it is also right next to both my meter and my inverter. Both panels sit on the load output, gen is used for AC solar and grid is on grid. The way it is wired works very well, I simply want the outside panel to shut down if the grid goes down to ensure I do not overload the sol-ark.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 12
haha.... ok. thanks to the last two comments, which was my suggestion at the start of the post (and the subject of the thread). I want to wire in a 240v relay with sensor wires to the meter (fused obv) and the main line into my "critical loads panel" through the contactors.

seems i have the right solution.

the Savant modules are very interesting though and might do the same thing much more simply. i had not seen those before.

and the main line into my "critical loads panel" through the contactors.
The only thing I would suggest for clarity is the panel you want to turn of might be called something else. Critical or Essential loads are typically loads which you want to keep powered by the inverter when the grid goes down. The SolArk is unique in that it has the capacity to power a main service panel, making it a critical loads panel. I also realize that the panel you want to drop power to when the grid is off, is downstream from the main (critical loads) panel which makes this out of the ordinary. But you now have a couple of workarounds.

Last edited:
thanks for all the replies, but i must not have explained well... basic diagram attached. the "critical loads panel", marked with an asterix, is an outside panel that sits parallel to the main panel and rest of the house. Physically, it is also right next to both my meter and my inverter. Both panels sit on the load output, gen is used for AC solar and grid is on grid. The way it is wired works very well, I simply want the outside panel to shut down if the grid goes down to ensure I do not overload the sol-ark.

this is not the best way to do this.

from the 15k manual
"The CT sensors (or limit sensors) enable the use and smooth operation of the system work modes known as “Limited Power to Home” and “Grid Peak-Shaving”. The CTs will measure and calculate the demand in the Main Service Panel which the Sol-Ark 15K-2P-N will then use to accurately supply and offset all home loads."

the main panel needs to be connected to the solark via the GRID input, with CTs installed. if the grid goes down the solark will immediately cease supplying loads to your main panel and only supply the loads output. you dont need any relays for this. the functionality is already there.

btw, I am not watching this thread so if you have a question use the reply button or I dont get a notification

Back