diy solar

diy solar

Solar assistant questions

Ah, ok. Interesting, I actually looked at that the other night for some reason ? Interesting that's the one you used? Guess I will check it out. Thanks!
That cable will help if you have a longer run. I had to go back and read through this thread, didn't realize you were using a cable with an RJ45 on one end. I'm not sure this will help you,but it's Amazon so easy enough to return if you don't see any improvement.

Last edited:
Another thing to be aware of is your power supply to the Pi device. I had a Pi 4 which uses USB 2 and although the wall transformer I was using said it was rated at 2 amps, it constantly produced USB errors. Replaced with a beefier wall transformer and good cable fixed that. Since I wanted to power everything on the 48 volt battery, I used this with no issues.

Yeah I replaced tbe wall wart with a USB 5v 3a for the Pi and it's running better and cooler. I have the Orange Pi 3 LTS. Seems fine so far with the power supply.
And if the cable doesn't work for that then I have another use for it on a second computer.

Another thing to be aware of is your power supply to the Pi device. I had a Pi 4 which uses USB 2 and although the wall transformer I was using said it was rated at 2 amps, it constantly produced USB errors. Replaced with a beefier wall transformer and good cable fixed that. Since I wanted to power everything on the 48 volt battery, I used this with no issues.

Yeah that could come in handy for another project I have in mind. I'll have to look at it more. Actually one thing is adding some fans as my inverter tends to run warm. The solar inverter and batteries are in the back room of a 35' camper that's basically a storage room.

I had that problem. It was due to my USB cable picking up RF from the inverter because of where the cable ran and the placement of the Pi. Try moving the Pi to a different place or routing the cable differently.

I guess I jinxed myself.... Everything has been fine for a couple of months but today I had SA disconnect twice. I've rearranged/rerouted my usb cable will let you know if I have any additional issues.

Good Luck with yours!

Hate to hear that. Hope you get it figured out too. Since going to the USB port on the inverter instead of the RS232 I have not had any disconnect issues with the inverter. Now it only disconnects if the internet goes down and it has automatically restarted the two times that's happened. Not sure if there is any missing info due to using rhe USB instead or not. I still have the batteries connected to the Pi and that info is correct. Nice having all that available and no missing batteries. I do prefer the Multisibcontrol layout and data. They show each cell voltage and temp etc. I also like their data they have on PV and so forth. SA seems pretty light on that for the cost.

Can anyone help in connecting Solar Assistant with Daly BMS ?
Currently I am using 3 cables directly from Daly BMS rx/tx/gnd to my PI4 device connected to
pins 6,8,10. I am able to read data normally with applications like
/usr/local/bin/daly-bms-cli --device /dev/ttyAMA0 --all
So everything seems fine and my device is /dev/ttyAMA0 which is standart serial port.
The problem is that Solar Assistant can not understand this and is trying to look for outside hardware like dongles from Daly and load drivers similar to

usbserial: USB Serial support registered for cp210x
usb 1-1.4: cp210x converter now attached to ttyUSB0

etc… which is very strange !!!
Why do i need external hardware and software for something which works out of the box directly ?
Yes i have the original Daly dongle but is is not good !!! Sometimes usb port stuck and i need to restart my PI4 each 2-3 days. Using direct /dev/ttyAMA0 reads the same data as original dongle
(both are serial ports) and i read every 5 seconds for the last 6 months NEVER stuck like the USB dongles.

My questions is how to tell Solar Assistant use /dev/ttyAMA0 for Daly BMS ?
Where are these config files ? Even i can do something static if I have to ?
I hope nobody get me wrong ... my hardware ports and everything is working perfect via /dev/ttyAMA0
just need a way to "hack" solar assistant to use that device and do nothing automatically detecting
which i do not want ... because this actually not always work like in my case :)
And you can connect direct any TL inverter to PI4 and you do not need extra hardware (which stuck) !

It will be perfect if there is an Auto or Manual option for choosing your Inverter and BMS devices.

Last edited:
Can anyone help in connecting Solar Assistant with Daly BMS ?
Currently I am using 3 cables directly from Daly BMS rx/tx/gnd to my PI4 device connected to
pins 6,8,10. I am able to read data normally with applications like
/usr/local/bin/daly-bms-cli --device /dev/ttyAMA0 --all
So everything seems fine and my device is /dev/ttyAMA0 which is standart serial port.
The problem is that Solar Assistant can not understand this and is trying to look for outside hardware like dongles from Daly and load drivers similar to

usbserial: USB Serial support registered for cp210x
usb 1-1.4: cp210x converter now attached to ttyUSB0

etc… which is very strange !!!
Why do i need external hardware and software for something which works out of the box directly ?
Yes i have the original Daly dongle but is is not good !!! Sometimes usb port stuck and i need to restart my PI4 each 2-3 days. Using direct /dev/ttyAMA0 reads the same data as original dongle
(both are serial ports) and i read every 5 seconds for the last 6 months NEVER stuck like the USB dongles.

My questions is how to tell Solar Assistant use /dev/ttyAMA0 for Daly BMS ?
Where are these config files ? Even i can do something static if I have to ?
I hope nobody get me wrong ... my hardware ports and everything is working perfect via /dev/ttyAMA0
just need a way to "hack" solar assistant to use that device and do nothing automatically detecting
which i do not want ... because this actually not always work like in my case :)
And you can connect direct any TL inverter to PI4 and you do not need extra hardware (which stuck) !

It will be perfect if there is an Auto or Manual option for choosing your Inverter and BMS devices.
This is how I tricked it

daly-no-where.jpg

Note the adapter from DALY BMS USB ... it goes NO WHERE but is enough to trick Solar Assistant to display it.
Now i did link /dev/USB1 to /dev/ttyAMA0 and this way I am using direct serial to my Daly BMS.
No fancy adapters and stupid stuff like that. Never stuck. You can see 3 cables RX/TX/GND to my PI4 board
pins 6,8,10 and they go direct to the BMS.
Situation is not perfect because that adapter is working and spending energy for nothing !
More elegant solution is Solar Assistant to fix their missing bug/feature and allow serial connections or
ability to point your own device name.
Actually Daly USB adapter is serial too :)

Back