diy solar

diy solar

Solar Assistant on Pi4 not staying connected to EG4 Lifepower batteries

elizabethii

I've had 4 EG4 3kw inverters and 6 EG4 lifepower batteries connected to Solar Assistant now for several months. SA's running on a Pi 3 It's been working great, except for the past 2-3 months. After being up for around a month, the web interface starts getting really laggy, then grafana graphs stop loading, then the web server eventually stops responding at all. Power-cycle the Pi, and all is great again for another month, except that all historical data is gone. Also, I signed up for the beta program, and after the upgrade, it's on the new version, except that once I power-cycle, it fails back to an older version of SA. I'm suspecting that something related to the storage is failing, like the SD card.

So, I have a Pi 4 that has been sitting around from a previous project, so I thought I'd load up SA onto a fresh card in it. I opted into the beta program before starting to configure the batteries and inverter. So far, so good. However, about a minute after the batteries are connected and SA gets what appears to be a single update of the battery info, it'll lose connection to the batteries and not reconnect until I go into configuration and disconnect and reconnect. I have automations that rely on battery SoC, so that's not good.

On the Pi 3, I had the SS-supplied RS485 converter plugged into a USB hub. Thinking it was something related to that, I plugged it directly into the Pi without any changes in operation. The Pi 4 is being powered by the USB adapter supplied in the Canakit I bought the Pi4 in. I'm at a loss as to what the issue is. I even looked at journalctl to see if there's a buried log event with more information, but if it is, I can't find it. It goes from "[bms:narada] [connected] Connected" to "[bms:narada] [error] No response. Retrying..." with nothing about the USB device mentioned in between.

Any thoughts on what the issue could be?

For the first issue, it absolutely sounds like a failing card.

For the Pi 4, I would go back to the latest stable version, just the eliminate the beta as a potential issue. Also be careful using SOC tiggers, my EG4's like to drift out of sync over time.

I think if you are still having issues on a stable version of SA, then try a new, higher output, power supply.
For the USB retries, you might try power cycling the batteries then reconnecting via the advanced tab and after setting the dashboard to voltage instead of SOC. You should be able to see the battery ID's pull up and be recognized as you hit the connect button.

Back