diy solar

diy solar

Solar Assistant; trouble communicating with Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM Inverters

apctjb

Solar Enthusiast
I have struggled to get stable communication between my Growatt SPF inverters and Solar Assistant running on Orange PI. It works at times but get frequent CRC errors. I have tried different cables, purchased cables with ferrite chokes, re routed cables, wrapped them in foil, etc. Sometime I can connect but typically not long. Got even worse after most recent firmware update of SA.

I can communicate with the inverters via my PC using the exact same cables, and the inverters communicate no problem with Growatt Shineserver via the wifi dongle.

Looking for suggestions on other possible fixes. Perhaps grounding the chassis of the Growatts? I looked but did not see a chassis ground point.

1701108902792.png

Perhaps grounding the chassis of the Growatts? I looked but did not see a chassis ground point.
The chassis is internally connected to the ground terminals.
So, it should already be grounded. (Assuming that your system is grounded)

The chassis is internally connected to the ground terminals.

Thx, was hoping for something easy to improve data communications. Any other suggestions out there?

I'm not sure which Growatt units you have. But I did have some connection issues. Once I started adding more units.
I added a USB isolator between my Victron Smart Shunt and SA. And it solved my issues. I can only guess that it was some kind of loop interference, on the DC side. I'm probably going to add isolators to each Growatt, also. Just for added peace of mind.

Had not considered a USB isolator before. I assume high speed data and power isolation, like the ones used to eliminate audio interference?

Thx

This is what I used.

Screenshot_20231128_124250_Chrome.jpg

This is what I used.

View attachment 180116
Thought of adding that to mine just for the heck of it but it cost as much as the entire pi computer and power supply did :)

Thought of adding that to mine just for the heck of it but it cost as much as the entire pi computer and power supply did :)
It's definitely expensive. But I just wanted to end my frustration.
There may be cheaper options. I just got tired of looking.

Back