diy solar

diy solar

Solar DIY help

xaratemplate

I would like to build a similiar solar system to the one you showed in this video:
with the hopes to power laptop that is 200 watts plus run maybe a electric stove cooktop. The problem I am having is I can't find a 170amp circuit breaker that ships to Philippines. Is their a different circuit break amp I can use since I can't find one that ships here?

@xaratemplate, welcome to the forum!

Exact 170A will be hard to find.
200A DC is easy.

AliExpress have.

I personally have good results with the simple "car" breakers like this or this.
927902092-165165070.jpg
They are cheap, 200A for under 10 USD.

More professional..
Is this one.
1479197139-1986220937.jpg
About 50 USD...
For 12 Volt system the cheap ones will work just fine.

For over 24 volts..
The cheaper ones tend to snap faster, below rated amperage due heat build up at longer high loads.

I'll probably change my breakers in the future for the expensive ones.
My system runs at 51.2v.

I personally wouldn't trust the cheap units, heard lots of horror stores that they melt/burn even within specifications. Also, most automotive products are only rated for up to 48V, your system voltage is higher. Consider bussmann products or buy from somewhere like BlueSea.

Also, most automotive products are only rated for up to 48V, your system voltage is higher.
12v = higher??
Am I missing something here??
The DC voltage we talk about here is
12v
AC...
Yes, I assume 110 or 220v
And I can NOT advice to use DC breakers in AC lines.

For DC, 12v 400w system the video talking about...
They work just fine.

But if you have too much money..
Up to you :)

I've done some browsing @ Bluesea site...
Yet unable to find 170A or higher DC breakers!

While 170A or higher DC breakers are totally overkill for 12v 400 watt system, that was not the question.

400watt, 12 volts, 50A breakers are just fine.

12v = higher??
12v
AC...

They work just fine.

While 170A or higher DC breakers are totally overkill for 12v 400 watt system, that was not the question.

I will make a parts list because I am a total begginer at this and I have no clue what the exact parts need to be or considerations to take in account. Might even make a video of me attempting to build it so I can get feedback. This is of course assuming I can get all the parts delievered here since all the hardware stores are closed in the Philippines.

12v = higher??
12v
AC...

They work just fine.

Bussman Series 187 or 285 (the breaker posted is a chinese knockoff of a Series 285) go to 200A and 48vDC. Worth noting that "Blue Sea" Series 187 and 285 breakers are just the Bussman breakers in a Blue Sea retail package.

I strongly second @tictag's comments: never trust the knockoff breakers. They are known for overheating, breaking too soon, not breaking above their "rated" current, not breaking at all... all of which conditions can cause equipment malfunction if not catastrophic failure. Spend the extra $20 for a reliable protection device with known characteristics and a known, trustworthy brand that is literally the standard (along with Littelfuse) around the world for breakers and fuses.
For reference, here's our eBay listing for Bussman Series 187 and 285 breakers. Shop around all you like, by all means, but please don't trust your system to a knockoff breaker.

I will make a parts list because I am a total begginer at this and I have no clue what the exact parts need to be or considerations to take in account. Might even make a video of me attempting to build it so I can get feedback. This is of course assuming I can get all the parts delievered here since all the hardware stores are closed in the Philippines.

Here is list of parts I am looking at:

Circuit Breaker 150amp (not sure if this is fine for a 400watt system)

2000 Watt Inverter (Is the guage of wire that comes with this sufficient or do I need to purchase thicker gauge wire?)

Alternative 2000 Watt Inverter: (is this a better option than other inverter or what brand is better for inverter?)

DC Circuit Breaker Reset:

Blue Sea Fuse (I think this is same model he has in video)

Solar charge controller with mt50:

I'm not sure about what is the best battery type or solar panel to get so will need help with that. I'm looking to ideally at the bare minimum to be able to power my 200 watt laptop, cell phone and some lights. However would like to know is it possible to later scale system up or upgrade to run things like electric stove cooktop and refrigerator?

Bussman Series 187 or 285 (the breaker posted is a chinese knockoff of a Series 285) go to 200A and 48vDC. Worth noting that "Blue Sea" Series 187 and 285 breakers are just the Bussman breakers in a Blue Sea retail package.

I strongly second @tictag's comments: never trust the knockoff breakers. They are known for overheating, breaking too soon, not breaking above their "rated" current, not breaking at all... all of which conditions can cause equipment malfunction if not catastrophic failure. Spend the extra $20 for a reliable protection device with known characteristics and a known, trustworthy brand that is literally the standard (along with Littelfuse) around the world for breakers and fuses.
For reference, here's our eBay listing for Bussman Series 187 and 285 breakers. Shop around all you like, by all means, but please don't trust your system to a knockoff breaker.

I looked at your listing in this case in order for me to mount it to a wood panel like shown in his video do I need the surface mount or panel mount version for 200A 48vDC?

Also do you have any recommendations for my question above about battery type and size, solar panels etc?

Most people here are fond of LiFePO4 batteries. Higher upfront cost but more economical in the long run.

Used solar panels will give you the most bang for the buck. Santansolar.com has 265w panels for $50 but they will be large.

I would suggest a pure sine wave inverter for powering electronics. The Giandel is modified sine wave, avoid modified IMHO. Giandel does make pure sine, just more expensive!

Decide on your panels and battery before choosing a charge controller. They will determine the specs you want in a SCC.

Good job on posting links. It helps people help you!

Most people here are fond of LiFePO4 batteries. Higher upfront cost but more economical in the long run.

Used solar panels will give you the most bang for the buck. Santansolar.com has 265w panels for $50 but they will be large.

I would suggest a pure sine wave inverter for powering electronics. The Giandel is modified sine wave, avoid modified IMHO. Giandel does make pure sine, just more expensive!

Decide on your panels and battery before choosing a charge controller. They will determine the specs you want in a SCC.

1. I have limited space only small balcony so smaller solar panels would be ideal. Any recommend solar panels that are small and efficient? I am really clueless on what panel to select this is all new to me and figured I would try it out considering the whole world is on lockdown and in a grid down situation would like some power.

2. The lvyuan 2000 watt pure sine wave should be fine then right that I listed?

3. I took a look at the LiFePO4 batteries but I couldn't find any that ship here to Philippines... do you have any alternatives batteries that you are aware of that ship here or a site that ships LiFePO4 batteries to Philippines?

For clarification my laptop is 200 watts so I think at minimum I need a 1000 watt hour battery to get a solid 8hr day of work complete. If I want to run stove cooktop I think I need like 3000 watts since most run at like 1500 to 1800 watts so could get like 1 hour cook time.

Wow. I have no idea about the Philippines. Being closer to China (where all the cells come from) should be an advantage. IF you are willing to research and build your own then look up the thread here on XUBA cells. If not, a quick google search brings up stuff like this:

However I have no experience at all there.

The Ivyuan inverter is an open box deal. Be careful but it might be alright. Another option that I have no experience with:

For solar panels I would see what is available locally. Or look at ali.... for panels from Asia.

Lets look at your power needs as you have detailed them.

Laptop is 200 watts for 8 hours or 1600 watt hours.

The cooktop is 1800 watts for an hour. Those two add up to 3400 watt hours.

That is going to take a bit of panels. Let me look for a thread that discusses this better than I can explain it.

In the Philippines, same like Thailand, hardware stores are closed like all non essential shops.

It will stay this way probably for atleast 4 to 6 weeks.

Your fastest option is Internet.
Not sure of Philihlphines have Lazada?

The video talks about 12v 400 watt system.

Now I read 2000 watt inverer...
I read about 48v...

That's NOT the video!!

Please describe what you are planning to do.

Is in on a ship, RV (trailer /camper car) or a home made of bricks (or sheets of metal, normal way of many houses in Isaan)

That's a starting point.

Next, what you are planning to do.
Laptop is easy, 400 watt inverter is good enough.
Cooking...
That's a whole different story!!
Yes, you need 2000w inverter.

Both do not require pure sine wave.
Led lights do not require.
Anything with electric motor does.
(Refrigerator, air conditioning, microwave, water pump)

Next step is batteries.
And determine how high voltage you want to have.

That is 12, 24, or 48 Volts.
Different voltages are possible but not recommended.

Once you decided, we can talk about solar and PWM or MPPT.
Most PWM stop at 24 Volt.
I haven't seen one on AliExpress or eBay for 48 Volt.

PWM are a lot cheaper than MPPT.
MPPT is little more efficient in converting the power from solar panels to your batteries.

Once you know your voltage...

How much power are you planning to use?
And only at sunlight?
Or also after?
The amount of power you are planning to use determine the size and number of solar panels.

If Philippines is like Thailand...
The ladies in the family are cooking always. Always something on the stove.
That can be charcoal (still used a lot) or gas. (We have inside and outside our home, both are used depending on smell :) )

If you like this to be electricity stove...
You need a lot of panels!

If it's just when you run out of other ways, it's not that much.

Now we know the solar panels and the voltage...
I make suggestion based on regular laptop use, lights, no refrigerator or pump and water heater / rice cooker (600w)

One 300 w panel, one 12v 150Ah deep cycle lead acid battery, PWM 20A and 1000w modified sine wave Inverters.
All is low power, and the cheap breakers will be just fine.

If you are not on a budget.
You have enough money
Make it a 2000w pure sine wave Inverter.
Always good to have quality and able to use for pump or microwave.

Panels, more is better!
It is cheaper to have extra panel then to switch to MPPT.
Yes, MPPT is more efficient, extra panel will make the end result of the PWM better and cheaper :)
(And probably last longer)

Batteries..
Your stores are closed.
You can buy from China.
Not lead acid but Lifepo4.
They need additional electronic device, a BMS.
Nowadays buying from China the lifepo4 and BMS is cheaper then buying the deep cycle lead acid at your hard ware store.

Good news about lifepo4 is efficiency.
Lead acid is 70% effective.
If you want 100ah, you need to put in about 140ah on power.
In watts.. (for 12v)
If you want to use 1200 watts, you need to put in 1700 watts.

For Lifepo4 it's 95% and higher.
If you want to use 1200 Watts, you need to put in 1275 watts.

Basic parts break down.

What do you want to do
What is your environment
What is your budget
And do you have extension planning?
You want to add more panels, use more power?
Do you have power (grid - electricity cables from the power company) available, or you live off grid.

In the last situation, all power you can use is the power you create.

Do you have backup generator?

All questions needed before anyone can give you any real good advice matching your installation and your budget!!

If there is enough Money..
Yes, I agree buy the best quality.

For all the people who supply links...
What are the delivery cost and options for the Philippines???
Used Panels half price in the USA are a really bad investment to get in the Philippines.... Transport is crazy.

If you have a link of used panels in the Philippines.....
That's different :)

If budget is lower..
The 5 dollar breakers will work just fine for years without having any danger.
Yes, like most China crap, you need to match their rating.
Rating 100A is real life usage 50A.
They work fine for 12, 24, 48 and even 350v.
I use them for my solar panels to connect to the MPPT.
That is on 350v, 10A.
I use the 80A and it doesn't get hot, works just fine.
If there is a serious problem with the MPPT or the panels, the breaker will snap.

Also for maintenance, they are easy.

Better then any breakers are the good old fuses.
If you talk about safety...
That's the way to go.1988755076748761479.jpg
151715351-59955393.jpg
Cheap and safe.

Just not that easy to turn off or back on again.

But..
Please, before anyone really can help you...
We need to have more information.
List is above.
Budget is important.
For the USA people...
That means shopping in China :)
Or eBay. (Often also China)
If the budget is limited, concession need to be made.

If you haven't used the cheap breakers...
Only know scary stories without proof...
Stop spooking.
I can tell you tons of scary stories with just about any component.
Include choking with 7 gauge wire :)
(That's a joke)

I use them, for many years now, without any issues.
As long as you use them wise, that is include the China margin (half the rating for actual rating) you are OK.
They do not like direct sunlight.
Thailand sunlight, really high UV.
After 3 months the colour change, after 6 the housing get cracks, after a year you can no longer use.

But...
That's for all the "good brand" AC breakers the same!!
They even go faster.

High UV, unless you live in an area that have it, is hard on any plastic, include PVC.
While in Netherlands the PVC rain pipe is still ok after 40 years, here the blue pipes, special for withstanding the high UV won't last 20 years.

I assume the Philippines is the same :)

Lets look at your power needs as you have detailed them.

Laptop is 200 watts for 8 hours or 1600 watt hours.

The cooktop is 1800 watts for an hour. Those two add up to 3400 watt hours.

That is going to take a bit of panels. Let me look for a thread that discusses this better than I can explain it.

Maybe I should forget power cooktop for now then and just use it for laptop and lights sounds like things could get more expensive running stove top. However would like a way to boil water not sure what my other options are within reason.

Pm?

Is a lot more simple.
:)

For just led lights , laptop and water cooker / rice cooker..
The last ones are about 600 watts.
Laptop below 400.
1000 watt should be just enough, but...
Most are built in China, so China margin..
1500 watt will be fine.

You like cheap? (And available)

Go with the 120ah from Haomi.
(See other thread about 120, 152 and 280 cells), and a simple (but good) Daly BMS. S4.

Yes, a few breakers and solar panel from local supplier.
The web will help you find :)

I pay about 105 USD for 330 watt panels.

PWM are cheap and good enough for you.

I have good experience with the GaiaDefender inverter.
They are more expensive and pure sine wave, but quality.

I can provide you with a few links later today in PM with product I would buy myself for your setup.

Estimated lifetime for
batteries +10 year
Solar panels +25
PWM 15-25
Inverter 5-10
Laptop 3-5
Water cooker 5-15

:)

In the Philippines, same like Thailand, hardware stores are closed like all non essential shops.

It will stay this way probably for atleast 4 to 6 weeks.

Your fastest option is Internet.
Not sure of Philihlphines have Lazada?

The video talks about 12v 400 watt system.

Now I read 2000 watt inverer...
I read about 48v...

That's NOT the video!!

Please describe what you are planning to do.

Is in on a ship, RV (trailer /camper car) or a home made of bricks (or sheets of metal, normal way of many houses in Isaan)

That's a starting point.

Next, what you are planning to do.
Laptop is easy, 400 watt inverter is good enough.
Cooking...
That's a whole different story!!
Yes, you need 2000w inverter.

Both do not require pure sine wave.
Led lights do not require.
Anything with electric motor does.
(Refrigerator, air conditioning, microwave, water pump)

Next step is batteries.
And determine how high voltage you want to have.

That is 12, 24, or 48 Volts.
Different voltages are possible but not recommended.

Once you decided, we can talk about solar and PWM or MPPT.
Most PWM stop at 24 Volt.
I haven't seen one on AliExpress or eBay for 48 Volt.

PWM are a lot cheaper than MPPT.
MPPT is little more efficient in converting the power from solar panels to your batteries.

Once you know your voltage...

How much power are you planning to use?
And only at sunlight?
Or also after?
The amount of power you are planning to use determine the size and number of solar panels.

If Philippines is like Thailand...
The ladies in the family are cooking always. Always something on the stove.
That can be charcoal (still used a lot) or gas. (We have inside and outside our home, both are used depending on smell :) )

If you like this to be electricity stove...
You need a lot of panels!

If it's just when you run out of other ways, it's not that much.

Now we know the solar panels and the voltage...
I make suggestion based on regular laptop use, lights, no refrigerator or pump and water heater / rice cooker (600w)

One 300 w panel, one 12v 150Ah deep cycle lead acid battery, PWM 20A and 1000w modified sine wave Inverters.
All is low power, and the cheap breakers will be just fine.

If you are not on a budget.
You have enough money
Make it a 2000w pure sine wave Inverter.
Always good to have quality and able to use for pump or microwave.

Panels, more is better!
It is cheaper to have extra panel then to switch to MPPT.
Yes, MPPT is more efficient, extra panel will make the end result of the PWM better and cheaper :)
(And probably last longer)

Batteries..
Your stores are closed.
You can buy from China.
Not lead acid but Lifepo4.
They need additional electronic device, a BMS.
Nowadays buying from China the lifepo4 and BMS is cheaper then buying the deep cycle lead acid at your hard ware store.

Good news about lifepo4 is efficiency.
Lead acid is 70% effective.
If you want 100ah, you need to put in about 140ah on power.
In watts.. (for 12v)
If you want to use 1200 watts, you need to put in 1700 watts.

For Lifepo4 it's 95% and higher.
If you want to use 1200 Watts, you need to put in 1275 watts.

Basic parts break down.

What do you want to do
What is your environment
What is your budget
And do you have extension planning?
You want to add more panels, use more power?
Do you have power (grid - electricity cables from the power company) available, or you live off grid.

In the last situation, all power you can use is the power you create.

Do you have backup generator?

All questions needed before anyone can give you any real good advice matching your installation and your budget!!

If there is enough Money..
Yes, I agree buy the best quality.

For all the people who supply links...
What are the delivery cost and options for the Philippines???
Used Panels half price in the USA are a really bad investment to get in the Philippines.... Transport is crazy.

If you have a link of used panels in the Philippines.....
That's different :)

If budget is lower..
The 5 dollar breakers will work just fine for years without having any danger.
Yes, like most China crap, you need to match their rating.
Rating 100A is real life usage 50A.
They work fine for 12, 24, 48 and even 350v.
I use them for my solar panels to connect to the MPPT.
That is on 350v, 10A.
I use the 80A and it doesn't get hot, works just fine.
If there is a serious problem with the MPPT or the panels, the breaker will snap.

Also for maintenance, they are easy.

Better then any breakers are the good old fuses.
If you talk about safety...
That's the way to go.View attachment 9954
View attachment 9955
Cheap and safe.

Just not that easy to turn off or back on again.

But..
Please, before anyone really can help you...
We need to have more information.
List is above.
Budget is important.
For the USA people...
That means shopping in China :)
Or eBay. (Often also China)
If the budget is limited, concession need to be made.

If you haven't used the cheap breakers...
Only know scary stories without proof...
Stop spooking.
I can tell you tons of scary stories with just about any component.
Include choking with 7 gauge wire :)
(That's a joke)

I use them, for many years now, without any issues.
As long as you use them wise, that is include the China margin (half the rating for actual rating) you are OK.
They do not like direct sunlight.
Thailand sunlight, really high UV.
After 3 months the colour change, after 6 the housing get cracks, after a year you can no longer use.

But...
That's for all the "good brand" AC breakers the same!!
They even go faster.

High UV, unless you live in an area that have it, is hard on any plastic, include PVC.
While in Netherlands the PVC rain pipe is still ok after 40 years, here the blue pipes, special for withstanding the high UV won't last 20 years.

I assume the Philippines is the same :)

I guess I need to change my priorities to make it budget friendly. I will change what I want to power as it sounds like it will get very expensive to power cooktop stove.

Summary of Items I want to power/charge based on forum feedback:

1. 200 Watt Laptop
2. Rice Cooker (600 watts as mentioned by you in post)
3. Water heater i.e. the ones that boil water in kettle like container i.e. plastic container... I think these are not super high wattage maybe 1000 watts but would be nice to at least heat water.
4. LED Lights and portable USB fans
5. Charge Cell phone and other USB based devices or charge PowerBank

Main thing is I would like the ability to be able to upgrade system at later date to run refrigerator and electric stove cooktop but that would be after we fix house up and have more space to store panels but upgrade-ability would be key. However in short run the things I listed from 1 to 5 is most important and number item 3 can be removed if that is unrealistic without having large amount of solar panels.

Budget wise not sure if this is realistic but maybe $1000 to $1500 max USD (this includes import fees, shipping and so on so not as big of a budget after all the fees... best way to lower import fees is to do separate orders of $199 or less.

Last edited:

What is SCC? Is that Solar Charge Controller?

Back