diy solar

diy solar

Solar Generator vs Battery+Inverter install on RV

Leo3

Solar and Wiring Newbie
I apologize if there is already another question like this on here but if there is I couldn't find it. Also, if I'm in the wrong section feel free to let me know or move this thread...

What are the pros and cons of buying a solar generator (and either plugging appliances into it or plugging RV into it) vs installing better batteries (instead of marine deep cycle FLA most RV's come with) and an inverter? Why would someone do one or the other? I see so much out there these days about solar generators and they look great but I have not seen someone talk about why would you buy that and maybe some portable solar panels vs a more permanent RV install.

We use both. 300 watt solar on the Van‘s roof and 2 kWh derp cycle SLA installed. And little solar generators (two Goal Zero Yeti 200x) with foldable solar panels (two Nomad 100) for use outside of the Van. So we can outside charge some electronic devices and run a outdoor-office and don’t must do the work inside the Van if the weather is fine.

We don‘t need AC in the Van. We have no TV, no coffee maker or other „heavy things“ while we are on the road. 12 volt and USB/USB-C PD is enough to keep all running.

It is all about portability. That and easy setup.
If you already have a setup in the rv, sure, upgrading that is likely better than ANY solar generator on the market... except ya can’t put it in the car, or take it in the house if ya want to.

Leo -- I am an RV weekender so portability of a solar generator is something I just started looking into for my truck camper RV that comes with shore power and an AGM charged by an IOTA converter. I am planning to integrate an AC 200 Bluetti into this system, primarily charged by 600w of solar. The AC 200 makes more sense than a component build with a couple of LiFePo batteries since I am not using the RV a ton. Price-performance and mobility are the drivers.

We recently picked up a travel trailer.
My tow vehicle is a E350 van.
The RV came with one battery....not a true deep cyle either.
The more I look around and check out, I'm about convinced that I will replace the battery with a smallish "solar generator", or at least use it as a back up.
I can also use it as a stand alone for the van....I will have a compressor freezer that we can use for both as well.
If we don't go that route, it will bew a couple of golf cart batteries for the RV...

Thanks you guys. Exactly the kind of thoughts I had and was looking for from you.

Another thing to consider.
The future of RV travel may seem a bit bleak by some.
We are planning on putting our rig on in a park this winter down in AZ. In the spring, we plan on leaving it there.
If I were to upgrade to 2ea, 6v golf cart batts, they would just sit all summer cooking., and bring them back home with me would be a pain.
The micro "Solar Generator" would solve this.
We need power as the RV park we are going to only provides electricity during the day. (it's pretty off grid and self contained).

Another thing to consider.
The future of RV travel may seem a bit bleak by some.
We are planning on putting our rig on in a park this winter down in AZ. In the spring, we plan on leaving it there.
If I were to upgrade to 2ea, 6v golf cart batts, they would just sit all summer cooking., and bring them back home with me would be a pain.
The micro "Solar Generator" would solve this.
We need power as the RV park we are going to only provides electricity during the day. (it's pretty off grid and self contained).
Makes sense for your case. I am transiting from primitive tent camping (will still do some) to my luxurious to me truck camper and am mostly a weekender. That why a portable solar generator makes sense. I will pick up a portable solar panel in addition to my 600w panel mounted on my truck camper. For long term non use of batteries you mentioned, I have had no problem using a small trickle charge small solar panel directly hooked to other vehicles that sit unused for a month or so. maybe that is an option for you.

Have you considered just going with an aux battery that charges through simple relay off your starter battery and alternator?

diy solar

diy solar
Back