diy solar

diy solar

Solar Installation

Doverturtle

I am hoping to get some feedback on a system I am thinking of installing. I have an old farmhouse (1800's) that I have been fixing up for the past 25 years. Because of my high energy use and the current tax credits, I am looking at installing a system in 2-3 years, so I still have plenty of time for more research and learning. I am located in York County, PA and would be doing a ground mount. Here is my monthly electric use for the past year:
1720186734713.png
The installation would be for the primary meter, which is at my house. The other meter is on an old chicken house, and that one supplies power for my well pump and charging my Chevy Bolt. The panels will face south with some shading prior to 9:00 a.m. in the summer. Here is what I have come up with for what I would need (at least as a start):

Enphase IQ8HC microinverters
AC disconnect switch
Heliene 156HC M10 SL Bifacial Modules, 565 watts - Pallet of 30 panels
Integra rack ballasted system for the panel mount

The distance from the panels to the meter is approximately 60 feet, so I believe this would require #4 wire.
My electricity provider is Met-Ed. I am planning on net metering to start out. I may add batteries at a later time but would probably still continue with net metering as long as it is available. The reason I chose the Integra rack is because after going over the zoning regulations, I should be able to use those racks without acquiring a permit. Anything that requires cement for a footing requires a permit. I would only need to draft site plans for Met-Ed. Am I way off here?
Thanks in advance for any tips/advice!

I am hoping to get some feedback on a system I am thinking of installing. I have an old farmhouse (1800's) that I have been fixing up for the past 25 years. Because of my high energy use and the current tax credits, I am looking at installing a system in 2-3 years, so I still have plenty of time for more research and learning. I am located in York County, PA and would be doing a ground mount. Here is my monthly electric use for the past year:
View attachment 226630
The installation would be for the primary meter, which is at my house. The other meter is on an old chicken house, and that one supplies power for my well pump and charging my Chevy Bolt. The panels will face south with some shading prior to 9:00 a.m. in the summer. Here is what I have come up with for what I would need (at least as a start):

Enphase IQ8HC microinverters
AC disconnect switch
Heliene 156HC M10 SL Bifacial Modules, 565 watts - Pallet of 30 panels
Integra rack ballasted system for the panel mount

The distance from the panels to the meter is approximately 60 feet, so I believe this would require #4 wire.
My electricity provider is Met-Ed. I am planning on net metering to start out. I may add batteries at a later time but would probably still continue with net metering as long as it is available. The reason I chose the Integra rack is because after going over the zoning regulations, I should be able to use those racks without acquiring a permit. Anything that requires cement for a footing requires a permit. I would only need to draft site plans for Met-Ed. Am I way off here?
Thanks in advance for any tips/advice!
You do have a valid plan.

If Met-Ed does offer Net-Metering, look at the details of their plan. If it is good, you may want to install sooner before this deal disappears.

I have a truly awful plan which is "Net Zero," which means I get to consume the electricity I produce at no extra cost to me except for A daily charge for the kW of panels I have. The true Net Metering here in central AZ with APS went away six years ago where kilowatt hours were put in a bank and withdrawn at later date when needed. Now I sell these kW back at 6 cents an hour when I pay on average 20 cents an hour for electricity. Also, went from a fixed rate without solar to a mandatory peak rates where my electric rates double for three hours when sun provides little power. The original Net Metering can cover 90%, this new Net Zero may cover 30% of electric costs.

For your AC coupled battery you want to install at a later date, make sure this system will stay connected after a power outage and can recharge from both a generator and panels in case of an extended outage. Also, make sure these are stackable so you can add another inverter to charge the batteries and give more AC power. With the battery you have a critical loads separated from the main loads chosen based off battery power and inverter power which provides power for outages or helps reduce peak loads.

With your two proposed builds, if you make Net Metering for the First one, and it disappears and you are grandfathered at the much better rates, your second build with the batteries could force you to a rate plan like I talked about. California has done this and it only takes a few months for these new plans to get enacted. As more people get solar, rates will be less favorable to consumers getting solar. You may want to do the full build at once or realize you might not get the batteries.

Also, if you have not done so already, look at PV Watts or the solar calculator in my signature block to see the production in your area by month.

diy solar

diy solar
Back