diy solar

diy solar

Solar kit/parts for me

Philipwk

Hi, I wanted to ask for recommendations for my 24 foot C class Motor Home.
I want around 200 watt panel (or-so) and a Mppt (for efficiency) charge controller.
Is this all I need? Or do I need some transfer switch to keep the engine generator,
Generator and house plug in from hurting the solar charge controller?

Hi, I wanted to ask for recommendations for my 24 foot C class Motor Home.
I want around 200 watt panel (or-so) and a Mppt (for efficiency) charge controller.
Is this all I need? Or do I need some transfer switch to keep the engine generator,
Generator and house plug in from hurting the solar charge controller?

Nope, no need for a transfer switch in this situation. If all you want to do is add solar, I believe all you need is:
  1. PV panels
  2. MPPT controller
  3. Circuit breaker (between battery and charge controller)
  4. Wiring
Here is a simple diagram

Screenshot_20200306_001703.png

And a decent primer video on the basics of solar, specifically for boats but almost completely applicable to motorhomes and mobile systems.

how about inverter? as i don't see it in the diagram list or requirements.

I think an inverter is beyond the scope of simply adding solar. It isn't strictly necessary and may well already be something that OP has. If not, than yes, if OP wants to use 120v electronics from battery power an inverter would be advised.

Thanks guys now all I need to decide on is 2 100 watt panels or 1 190 watt panel.
Is it true flexible panels only last 5 years or so?
Pk

Thanks guys now all I need to decide on is 2 100 watt panels or 1 190 watt panel.
Is it true flexible panels only last 5 years or so?
Pk

From what I've heard yes (at least for the stuff sold on amazon/ebay/etc), even less sometimes. But there are apparently higher quality flexible panels made for the marine industry that are supposedly better. I don't remember brand names Solara and Gioco are 2 examples. That said, the cost was 5x to 10x that of comparable rigid panels.

Last edited:
Flexible panel life is a factor of the installation often... little heat transfer, and they burn up in short order.
Flex them much when installing, and they burn up in short order, bounce them around much, and they burn up in short order.
Etc... basically, they are fragile...

Flexible panel life is a factor of the installation often... little heat transfer, and they burn up in short order.
Flex them much when installing, and they burn up in short order, bounce them around much, and they burn up in short order.
Etc... basically, they are fragile...

Also, it seems that in practice, most flexible panels seem to be built to a much lower standard. Rigid panels are expected to last decades (and have a warranty and build quality to match these expectations), this is not the case with flexible panels.

edit: but they (flexible panels) are apparently not inherently fragile. The premium brands I referred to make walk-on marine deck mount flexible PV panels designed to be walked on. They have a 5 year warranty (which is far from the 20+ year warranty for rigid mount, but much better than most cheap flexible panels, and pretty good considering the harsh conditions they will endure). Only problem is 100W will cost you over $1300...

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back