diy solar

diy solar

Which solar controller (not built in) to hook up my portable 200 solar panel to my teardrop lithium batteries

herricjb

I have a Dokio 200W portable solar panel I use with a small Bluetti solar generator. I also have a larger LifePo4 system (two 200 wH LION brand batteries) in my Bean teardrop camper that I'd like to be able to charge occasionally using this panel. The panel comes with a very cheap little solar charge controller but I don't want to endanger my expensive power system in the teardrop with a cheap little controller. I nearly bought a Victron 20 amp controller but I realized it was made to be built in to my battery box and wired in permanently when all I'm looking for is one that I can just quickly attach to the panel and also run to the SAE input (I think that's what it's called) to my batteries. I'd like something that doesn't need to be wired in or built in, if that makes sense, so I can just plug it in quickly and use it on the fly, as necessary.

Or maybe it's just a matter of getting the right connectors (to go to the battery and to the panel) and then purchasing any good controller?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Me too. I am investigating what to get also. I am digging my way through the similar threads here and perhaps someone could point me in the right direction.

I want a renewable emergency 110v power station for hurricane season.

I have three 24v 100ah lifepo4 battery packs for my power wheelchairs and a couple of 24v inverters.

Last week I snapped up a brand new Simex 600w for $70, and just now a used Simex 1500w I found mis-listed as 12v on ebay for $200. Not that I needed an inverter, but ...

So, I am guessing I that to sustain me for about a week of off grid power I would probably need at least one 200 watt solar panel and a controller that I can lay out in the back yard/patio of my restrictive 2 bedroom ground floor apartment. My budget is about $200, and I would use and recharge the battery packs in rotation. Does that sound reasonable?

A 200 watt fold up monocrystaline panel would probably fit the bill, with the right controller.

Any advice?

I have a Dokio 200W portable solar panel I use with a small Bluetti solar generator. I also have a larger LifePo4 system (two 200 wH LION brand batteries) in my Bean teardrop camper that I'd like to be able to charge occasionally using this panel. The panel comes with a very cheap little solar charge controller but I don't want to endanger my expensive power system in the teardrop with a cheap little controller. I nearly bought a Victron 20 amp controller but I realized it was made to be built in to my battery box and wired in permanently when all I'm looking for is one that I can just quickly attach to the panel and also run to the SAE input (I think that's what it's called) to my batteries. I'd like something that doesn't need to be wired in or built in, if that makes sense, so I can just plug it in quickly and use it on the fly, as necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Has anyone used one of these portable controllers?Untitled.jpg

Here is a whole section of the forum dedicated to solar charge controllers in case that is helpful.

Back