diy solar

diy solar

Trying to understand Victron system

Matsbr

Very new to this. Recently I had two solar panels installed on the roof of my trailer. Including a Victron solar charge controller and a Victron shunt. The system includes two lithium batteries. I also use a portable panel which is wired directly to the battery. It appears that the shunt doesn’t recognize the input from the portable panel. Is this correct and how do I correct this situation so I know what the roof panels and the portable panel are actually doing. Thank you!

Very new to this. Recently I had two solar panels installed on the roof of my trailer. Including a Victron solar charge controller and a Victron shunt. The system includes two lithium batteries. I also use a portable panel which is wired directly to the battery. It appears that the shunt doesn’t recognize the input from the portable panel. Is this correct and how do I correct this situation so I know what the roof panels and the portable panel are actually doing. Thank you!

For the shunt to measure the portable panel you have to be sure it runs through the shunt.

If the portable panel is directly connected to the battery the shunt cannot measure the current flow.

The shunt needs to be the only thing connected to the battery negative.

Thank you. My understanding is that the shunt can assess the charge of the battery but in my case where the portable panel is connected directly to the battery, then the shunt is not providing me, thru the VictronConnect app, accurate information. To resolve this I need to wire the portable panel to the shunt as per your instructions.

I appreciate your response. Very helpful

Thank you. My understanding is that the shunt can assess the charge of the battery

No. It doesn't assess anything. It measures current and calculates state of charge.

but in my case where the portable panel is connected directly to the battery, then the shunt is not providing me, thru the VictronConnect app, accurate information.

Because you are providing current the battery that the shunt can't count.

To resolve this I need to wire the portable panel to the shunt as per your instructions.

Yep.

I appreciate your response. Very helpful

The shunt literally counts current in and out of the battery and computes the SoC from the used Ah vs. the programmed Ah, e.g.,

100Ah battery

10Ah used by loads

(100-10)/100 = 90% state of charge.

Back