diy solar

diy solar

Solar newbie looking for direction

sinatrablue

Hey all, I have a new off grid solar system I’m setting up on my 40ft trailer. This is going to be my off grid homesteading trailer in Montana while I build my cabin.

I have a lot of parts I’ve bought and horse traded for over the years but I’m trying to make the most logical and financial sense of these parts and how to proceed.

Currently I have 10 300 watt panels installed on the trailer in 2s 5p so 80v total system voltage with a simple victron charge controller charging a small 24v battery bank with a single growatt 120v 3kw hybrid inverter.

My question mainly is I recently procured a load of solar equipment from a friend of mine who decided to go a different direction. It included a solar edge se6000h grid tie inverter with battery backup and ev charging.

While looking over the specs it states that it requires minimum of 80v turn on pv voltage, and all panels must have power optimizers, the optimizers have a minimum string length for the 300 watt optimizers of 6, so I’ll need to find room for another two panels for two 6 panel strings@240v.

This is all fine and dandy however the other problem is I need to source the split phase power for the inverter to commission and run then go on battery backup which I’m not sure how well that will work without grid connection.

You need a grid forming inverter that has AC coupling and frequency curtailment capability. Look up UL1741 SB compliant inverters before going any further.

I looked up what you said, i suppose a Schneider xw pro hybrid inverter would be best, but god damn it’s expensive. What are some other ac coupled grid forming inverters that are not 4000$?

Edit:looks like solar edge and victron partnered up for this exact purpose, I’m probably going to go with a quattro or multiplus ac coupled with the solar edge inverter in aps mode

Last edited:
Back