diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panel Planning

girfold

Hey all, I've got some panels ground mounted for now, well below the amp/volt specs, but am looking to start planning out longer term setup now that I've just received my 6000XP inverter. Looking for suggestions and feedback on what I've got and what I could set up..

6000XP Inverter PV inputs:
Per String (2 inputs):
MAX. USABLE INPUT CURRENT 17/17AMAX
SHORT CIRCUIT INPUT CURRENT 25/25A
DC INPUT VOLTAGE RANGE 100-480 VDC
UNIT STARTUP VOLTAGE 100 VDC ± 10 VDC
MPP OPERATING VOLTAGE RANGE 120-385 VDC
NOMINAL MPPT VOLTAGE 320 VDC
MAXIMUM UTILIZED SOLAR POWER 8000W (4000W per MPPT)
RECOMMENDED MAXIMUM SOLAR INPUT 10,000W

I've got 12 Bluesun 460W bifacial panels: VOC 50.8V ISC 11.22A
And 8 405W panels: VOC 45V ISC 10A

Thoughts/questions..
It says the max usable input current is 17A, so in my mind that could factor out putting the panels in parallel? Or would it just not utilize (and potentially put a strain on the MPPT) if I do put them in parallel (to 22A which is > 17A). I would like to be able to put the BlueSun panels into one slightly oversized array 6x6 for 5520W / 304.8V / 22.4A. This of course would cap to 4000W due to the max utilized solar spec per MPPT above. Also when the angling isn't 100% accurate with the sun, I'll still get a reasonable input to the batteries. That would mean I can put the other brand's 8 panels on a separate single series array for max of 3240W / 360V / 10A. Would it be ok to oversize that one array knowing that the panels won't really be facing directly south at the appropriate angle, but could exceed 17A in peak conditions?

Thanks!

Follow-up since the spec sheet and manual have a little bit different nuances in verbiage.

From the manual:
Nominal MPPT Amperage The MPPT will operate most optimally at this amperage 17A
Maximum MPPT Amperage The MPPT can accept up to this amperage (clipping will occur past this value) 25A

Looks like 17A is optimal but 25A is possible per the manual, but still curious on the above if that's a reasonable setup. Or if mixing brands is an option to get as close to 4000W on both arrays. I've read before it's best to stick with like panels instead of mixing and matching, but am open to suggestions.

Back