diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panels being clipped /limited on Inverter Input

What's the mystery?
The Inverter is putting out 3.6KW as rated.
In the third picture the house is getting 2.7KW and the Battery is being charged at 840W.
The Inverter is using 3.8KW to do this and about 200W is being lost in the conversion.
Any extra power the panels could produce during the peak is being clipped by the MPPT reaching their limit.
Nothing is going to fix this because there is nothing to fix. The benefit your getting is that those sloping sides before and after the peak would be a lot steeper if you had less panels. So you are getting a fair amount of benefit in the mornings and late afternoon on sunny days and also a lot of benefit on days that are a bit cloudy.
I agree he needs to look at over the datasheet for this model and become familiar with it mostly at the MPPT controller max Voltage and Current. The other way around this for charging is to use another MPPT controller for extra Solar Arrays especially when they are at different Voltages.

Presumably that would be with a fully charged battery though?
Yes I see the SOC is 100% but this 3.6kW unit is working to spec, I don't know where they coming with it can do 3.6 plus more for battery charging. Yes you may do more than the rated power 10% or so, but he is going on what the installer told him, I think the installer didn't give the real story or he got confused, but other than that RTFM :) I have nothing more to add ;)

SunSynk's CEO describes the 7kW capacity of the 3.6kW inverter (SG01LP1) from about 2:35 in their promotional video here:

SunSynk Promotional Video
Kieth most times say's a lot but really says nothing he just waffles and never gets down to exact details, at the point of talking about the MPPT being 7kW he jumps into bi-directional and does not give the full story, I have seen many of the video's and they all the same never to the point technically its all flowery and sweet but not exact :)

Kieth most times say's a lot but really says nothing he just waffles and never gets down to exact details, at the point of talking about the MPPT being 7kW he jumps into bi-directional and does not give the full story, I have seen many of the video's and they all the same never to the point technically its all flowery and sweet but not exact :)
But in OP's screenshot you can see that he is charging the batteries at 5.2kW after the firmware update.

Attachments

• B7012867-7F4D-4578-BE80-46436840DFDB (1).png
    B7012867-7F4D-4578-BE80-46436840DFDB (1).png
    430 KB · Views: 10
But in OP's screenshot you can see that he is charging the batteries at 5.2kW after the firmware update.
Yes but 2 seconds later it's 400w I would like to see it when it's under load over some time, he just went to look for the peak but for me means nothing. I may have to RTFM myself but would be nice to see some continuous load.

Attachments

• nothing for nothing.png
    nothing for nothing.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 10
Here is an extract from one of the emails from SunSynk's technical support:

"There are two different types of 3.6kW inverters. The normal model and the ECCO model. Difference between the two is that the ECCO model is made specifically for the UK market, and it has a bigger MPPT meaning it can take more watts up to 7000W. Unfortunately, there does seem to be a confusion between the data sheets.

According to my knowledge there was an issue regarding a “cap” in the firmware that stopped the ECCO inverter from producing more than 3.8kW. However, there seems to be an update in the firmware that can solve this."

They acknowledge there's a disparity between the technical specs sheet (which says 4,680W max) and the data plate on the side of the SG01LP1 inverter (which says 7kW max). The newly updated firmware is supposed to resolve the 3.8kW limit, but unfortunately the weather since getting it updated hasn't been conducive to testing that assertion.

They acknowledge there's a disparity between the technical specs sheet (which says 4,680W max) and the data plate on the side of the SG01LP1 inverter (which says 7kW max). The newly updated firmware is supposed to resolve the 3.8kW limit, but unfortunately the weather since getting it updated hasn't been conducive to testing that assertion.
Well in that case we can leave this topic until next June :) that's if the UK and Europe are still on the map.

I have just had the firmware update this weekend on my 3.6 Sunsynk inverter.
It's now going past 3.8 clip. Sending 3.5kw to the batteries, the rest to the house and the grid.
Those of you stating 3.6 is the limit are wrong. Its 7200 mppt, split between batteries and grid/house. In other words limited to 3.6ac to the house side and 3.6kw Dc to batteries.

Here I'd a picture of my system now getting 4.5kWh

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230206-113525_Sunsynk Connect.jpg
    Screenshot_20230206-113525_Sunsynk Connect.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 11
Yes, only 3.6 to AC load, balance to the battery if required, one of the other posts we had numbers that just didn't add up
But it still means that there will be minimal clipping if you have enough battery storage. The reason the numbers didn't add up is because it was clipping at 3.6 total before the firmware update. With the firmware update you have an MPPT of 7.2 with 3.6 available for AC.

But it still means that there will be minimal clipping if you have enough battery storage. The reason the numbers didn't add up is because it was clipping at 3.6 total before the firmware update. With the firmware update you have an MPPT of 7.2 with 3.6 available for AC.
Here the Unit is showing 4kW, the battery is fully charged, and the numbers do not add up. Yet the fix LGS51177 posted makes more sense give or take 170w

Attachments

• Clipping fixed.PNG
    Clipping fixed.PNG
    50.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Working.jpg
    Working.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 13
Here the Unit is showing 4kW, the battery is fully charged, and the numbers do not add up. Yet the fix LGS51177 posted makes more sense give or take 170w

In the first image there is power clipping due to the battery being full. So the PV generates 4.03kW and the inverter supplies 3.6 AC to grid and load. The other 400W is clipped but if the battery wasn't full then it would be using the full 4.03kW. Remember that the inverter is rated for 3.6kW AC with a maximum input of 7kW DC. And the batteries are not charged with AC, the batteries are charged with the excess DC current from PV.

In the first image there is power clipping due to the battery being full. So the PV generates 4.03kW and the inverter supplies 3.6 AC to grid and load. The other 400W is clipped but if the battery wasn't full then it would be using the full 4.03kW. Remember that the inverter is rated for 3.6kW AC with a maximum input of 7kW DC. And the batteries are not charged with AC, the batteries are charged with the excess DC current from PV.
Yes I know that however, the inverter will only show you what is being used, not how much is available, anyway this story has done its time now, and happy the inverter is doing the right thing ;)

In the first image there is power clipping due to the battery being full. So the PV generates 4.03kW and the inverter supplies 3.6 AC to grid and load. The other 400W is clipped but if the battery wasn't full then it would be using the full 4.03kW.
First pic:

4.03 kW PV, of which:
0.01 from battery
1.27 to load
2.33 to grid

So the full 3.6 kW to grid and load, battery is just sitting fully charged while there would appear to be a 15% loss of panel output in the system. That's a lot of loss, so much that I'd possibly consider that (partly) a measurement timing error. Hard to say as I am not familiar with exactly what those charts are showing (e.g. momentary snapshots, or averages over an interval, or a mix of both).

Second pic:

4470 W of PV, of which:
3548 to battery
252 to load
493 to grid

So system losses of about 10% of PV output. Again if that is snapshot data it might be just a timing thing rather than actual losses.

Or measurement error.

In any case, the inverter is now showing it is capable of supplying 3.6 kW AC to loads + additional capacity to the battery. It's also showing priority of PV supply being to i. loads, ii. battery, iii. grid. Glad to read it is performing as it should.

First pic:

4.03 kW PV, of which:
0.01 from battery
1.27 to load
2.33 to grid

So the full 3.6 kW to grid and load, battery is just sitting fully charged while there would appear to be a 15% loss of panel output in the system. That's a lot of loss, so much that I'd possibly consider that (partly) a measurement timing error. Hard to say as I am not familiar with exactly what those charts are showing (e.g. momentary snapshots, or averages over an interval, or a mix of both).

Second pic:

4470 W of PV, of which:
3548 to battery
252 to load
493 to grid

So system losses of about 10% of PV output. Again if that is snapshot data it might be just a timing thing rather than actual losses.

Or measurement error.

In any case, the inverter is now showing it is capable of supplying 3.6 kW AC to loads + additional capacity to the battery. It's also showing priority of PV supply being to i. loads, ii. battery, iii. grid. Glad to read it is performing as it should.
177W difference is about 4% loss.

177W difference is about 4% loss.
Where do you get 177 W?

1.27 kW to load + 2.33 kW to grid = 3.6 kW of AC output.
The PV is generating 4.03 kW.
The battery is minimal (-0.01kW).

So 4.03 kW of PV is supplying 3.6 kW of load.
That's 0.43 kW lost somewhere.

Back