diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panels for 'EG4 6000 xp' - Amp, Voltage, Watt... Need help with best choices available to me

xolito

I purchased an Eg4 6000xp off grid inverter. I am using one inverter. This discussion is about one inverter for now.
I would like to supply a maximum of power, amps, voltage according to the specs of this inverter.
Without cost concerns, what advise do you have toward actual solar panels that are available to purchase?
I have narrowed it down to these two (but not set and limited to this choice...these are available to me, to pick up at anytime. Others would have to be shipped and I'm not available day to day to inspect a delivered shipment for the damage of panels.):

Silfab - 400 HC+
Silfab - 410 HC+

In order to reach maximum Amps, I would like to take X2, 9-10 panels in series then parallel those two strings to reach a higher Amperage.
So, 9 to 10 panels ... 9s2p/10s2p.
Is this possible? Wise? I'm most worried about overage on volts (over 480v will damage inverter) and if there is too much Amperage with a 20Amp 'Series Fuse Rating'. (Does that even apply here?)

Specs follow:

9/10 panels of the 400
STC. NOTC.
Pmax. 3600w/4000w 2682w/2980w
Vpmax. 324.5v/360.5v 301.5v/335v
Ipmax. 22.2A 17.8A
Voc. 387.2v/363.2v 430.2v/403.5v
SFR. 20A. 20A

9/10 panels of the 410
STC. NOTC
Pmax. 3690w/4100w 2754w/3060w
Vpmax. 350.9v/389.9v 326.2v/362.4v
Ipmax. 21.04A 16.86A
Voc. 410.3v/455.9v 382.1/427.6v
SFR. 20A. 20A

I have researched enough to understand the dynamics of sun,shade,time of day, angle to panel ratios...
I'm interested in the relationship between equipment and power input according to these specifications.
According to these specs, If clipping is not 'dangerous', I do not mind 'losing' any power here or there.
I have an south facing, open sky, mild/chilly winters to min of 10°f (though rare), hot summers to just over 100°f (2 to 3 weeks max).

Will this input damage the inverter?

Does anyone using the Eg4 6000xp a have a more efficient solar panel setup close to maxing out the inverter?

Thanks in advance for your efforts toward helping me out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240306_060805_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240306_060805_Drive.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240306_060715_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240306_060715_Drive.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240306_060845_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240306_060845_Drive.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 3
Sorry.
I had organized those specs nicely but this forum packed them all together in a jumble.
They may be hard to read but all the info is there and related to attachments.

Thanks

BETTER?

Specs follow:

9/10 panels of the 400
----------------------STC------------------------ NOTC.
Pmax.----- 3600w/4000w --------2682w/2980w
Vpmax.---- 324.5v/360.5v------- 301.5v/335v
Ipmax.------- 22.2A ------------------------17.8A
Voc.--------- 387.2v/363.2v------- 430.2v/403.5v
SFR---------------. 20A.----------------------- 20A

9/10 panels of the 410
----------------------STC.--------------------------- NOTC
Pmax. -----3690w/4100w ---------2754w/3060w
Vpmax.--- 350.9v/389.9v---------- 326.2v/362.4v
Ipmax. ---------21.04A----------------------- 16.86A
Voc. ---------410.3v/455.9v----------- 382.1/427.6v
SFR.-------------- 20A. ---------------------------20A

Your proposal of doing like 9s2p/10s2p - as you already know as long as you stay under the temp-adjusted 480 VoC level you won't damage anything. I certainly agree with over paneling in general, but this seems like going pretty far - almost twice the theoretical panel wattage vs the charge controller. It just seems like overkill to have 18-20 ~400 watt panels to each of the 2 MPPT's. But hey - more than you need is better than not enough ;)

Ahh, so my math is wrong on my little specs table?

The watts would be doubled in
Your proposal of doing like 9s2p/10s2p - as you already know as long as you stay under the temp-adjusted 480 VoC level you won't damage anything. I certainly agree with over paneling in general, but this seems like going pretty far - almost twice the theoretical panel wattage vs the charge controller. It just seems like overkill to have 18-20 ~400 watt panels to each of the 2 MPPT's. But hey - more than you need is better than not enough ;)

The watts would be doubled in the Pmax column?
-because of the parallel connection.
Correct?
Yeah, that would be too much.

So, does anyone have a great solar panel array set up that reaches high input into this inverter?
Per PV input?
I can only find a average of 10 to 11 amps going in per leg at around 3600w to 4000w on a 8 - 10 panel string. (Without going too far over the 4000 and allowing for top range spikes) Almost all are about that range.

I can't seem to find anyone posting info on these inverters, perhaps they are too new to the market?
I'm looking for something like:
I have 9 of (these brand/model panels) at (these watts) per leg in series
I am getting (this high or low volts), (these amps)
This on a high day.
This on a low day.
Has anyone played with it that much and dialed it in?
I see videos but they haven't mentioned types and brands of sloar panels that are working for them.
I would even take advise of the ..."DON'T DO THIS ARRAY SET UP". LOL

Has anyone found one like that?

Anyone?

Thanks
:)

The watts would be doubled in

The watts would be doubled in the Pmax column?
-because of the parallel connection.
Correct?
Yeah, that would be too much.

So, does anyone have a great solar panel array set up that reaches high input into this inverter?
Per PV input?
I can only find a average of 10 to 11 amps going in per leg at around 3600w to 4000w on a 8 - 10 panel string. (Without going too far over the 4000 and allowing for top range spikes) Almost all are about that range.

I can't seem to find anyone posting info on these inverters, perhaps they are too new to the market?
I'm looking for something like:
I have 9 of (these brand/model panels) at (these watts) per leg in series
I am getting (this high or low volts), (these amps)
This on a high day.
This on a low day.
Has anyone played with it that much and dialed it in?
I see videos but they haven't mentioned types and brands of sloar panels that are working for them.
I would even take advise of the ..."DON'T DO THIS ARRAY SET UP". LOL

Has anyone found one like that?

Anyone?

Thanks
:)
More power available from the array than the charger can handle is great for less than ideal conditions and for harvesting more power in the morning and later in the afternoon, but would just hate to have so much available power get left on the table, too, if it's spending a lot of the day clipping...

There has been quite a bit of discussion re: the 6000XP here on the forum, but it still has only been around for a few months so there's only been so much time for people to gain experience working with it. If you do a forum search for 6000XP you'll find a ton of posts. I think the original thread that a lot of us were using to discuss the 6000XP was this one - https://diysolarforum.com/threads/eg4-6000xp-released-ordered-lets-go.71306/ - but there are a ton of other threads as well.

There have been a lot of discussions around the solar charging / MPPT specs as they were less clear with the original manual than they are with the most recent edition. The general question you are asking though - what is the ideal array configuration with such and such panels and such and such MPPT, etc., comes up all the time if you look back at all the threads here.

More power available from the array than the charger can handle is great for less than ideal conditions and for harvesting more power in the morning and later in the afternoon, but would just hate to have so much available power get left on the table, too, if it's spending a lot of the day clipping...

There has been quite a bit of discussion re: the 6000XP here on the forum, but it still has only been around for a few months so there's only been so much time for people to gain experience working with it. If you do a forum search for 6000XP you'll find a ton of posts. I think the original thread that a lot of us were using to discuss the 6000XP was this one - https://diysolarforum.com/threads/eg4-6000xp-released-ordered-lets-go.71306/ - but there are a ton of other threads as well.

There have been a lot of discussions around the solar charging / MPPT specs as they were less clear with the original manual than they are with the most recent edition. The general question you are asking though - what is the ideal array configuration with such and such panels and such and such MPPT, etc., comes up all the time if you look back at all the threads here.
Great.
Thanks for the direction,.
I'll get busy checking those out.

Back