diy solar

diy solar

Solar panels prices

Don B. Cilly

Energetic energy padawan
It has recently come to my attention that solar panels in the U.S.A. cost at least three times what they do in Europe.
Considering that taxes on consumers goods there tend to be less than half what they are here, panels are mostly made in China - therefore cheaper to ship to America than to Europe, and it has to be a bigger market, I find it hard to understand why.
Any ideas?
-

When I looked quickly at options and pricing it seemed to me that retail cost/watt was cheaper in Costa Rica than the USA too. I was surprised because EVERYTHING imported is more expensive in Costa Rica.

There is a 14-15% tariff currently on solar panels coming in from China. Panels manufactured in Cambodia, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam are exempt. In theory it makes sense to at least try and spur more manufacturing in the USA. We'd be in a heap of trouble if for whatever reason the USA was completely shut off from Chinese solar panels.

In the Spring I was looking at ~$223 for 460W bifacials. (that includes shipping)

But three pallets of 36 panels each was the minimum order. I finally got them down to one pallet, but the price went up ~$15 a panel since Spring.

Well, VAT (sales tax to the consumer) here is 22%. Sales tax there is... 5-10%?
It pretty much evens out. How does that explain 300% (or more) in price?
-

Well, VAT (sales tax to the consumer) here is 22%. Sales tax there is... 5-10%?
It pretty much evens out. How does that explain 300% (or more) in price?
-

And many (most?) states don’t charge sales tax for solar.

Grid tied solar PV is the US is insanely expensive compared with Australia. It must be the only technology / manufactured item which is cheaper here.

diy solar

diy solar
Back