diy solar

diy solar

Solar PV DC power optimizers - use for a small wind turbine?

scottbouch

Hi all,

Before I call SolarEdge to ask, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has used a Solar PV optimizer to introduce small wind turbine to an existing solar PV system?

I have a single string of 13x Solar PV panels, all with SolarEdge optimizers, feeding to a SolarEdge inverter and DC coupled battery. I have been thinking of ways to possibly add a small wind generator to this system (200 to 300 W), and DC coupling it into the string seems the most straightforward way.

Technically I will have to check how much headroom is left regarding allowabe DC voltage of the inverter and battery, this will dictate the maximum turbine voltage. Also will have to have some help from my installer to configure an additional optimizer in the software.

But in principal, has any DIY-er attempted anything like this before?

Being in the UK, we are not blessed with sunshine, so I am looking at ways to reduce our energy import on less sunny days, and to help slow down the battery discharge during the night time.

Cheers, Scott.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Before I call SolarEdge to ask, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has used a Solar PV optimizer to introduce small wind turbine to an existing solar PV system?

I have a single string of 13x Solar PV panels, all with SolarEdge optimizers, feeding to a SolarEdge inverter and DC coupled battery. I have been thinking of ways to possibly add a small wind generator to this system (200 to 300 W), and DC coupling it into the string seems the most straightforward way.

Technically I will have to check how much headroom is left regarding allowabe DC voltage of the inverter and battery, this will dictate the maximum turbine voltage. Also will have to have some help from my installer to configure an additional optimizer in the software.

But in principal, has any DIY-er attempted anything like this before?

DC coupling a wind turbine to a PV system battery?

Many thousands of times.

Would expect a suitable controller like a Xantrax C40 can output up to a specific peak voltage and then engage a dump load.

Thank you for that.

Are there any case-study examples of this that I can read up on? I've been looking online but not had much luck.

Do you know if other controllers such as the Xantrax C40 are compatible with the SolarEdge inverter in terms of communications and software interfacing? Just thinking as the optimizers provide production data to the inverter, if a dollop more power is received on the DC circuit and there is no data to explain to the inverter where it has come from, is it likely to get its knickers in a twist?

OR does the actual operation of the SolarEdge inverter not care about the optimizers production data, and only uses it for fault and shading information?

Thanks, Scott

Thank you for that.

Are there any case-study examples of this that I can read up on? I've been looking online but not had much luck.

Do you know if other controllers such as the Xantrax C40 are compatible with the SolarEdge inverter in terms of communications and software interfacing? Just thinking as the optimizers provide production data to the inverter, if a dollop more power is received on the DC circuit and there is no data to explain to the inverter where it has come from, is it likely to get its knickers in a twist?

OR does the actual operation of the SolarEdge inverter not care about the optimizers production data, and only uses it for fault and shading information?

Thanks, Scott
Hi Scott

I've installed a few SolarEdge systems and often ponder the same questions, I'm assuming you're on a 3680w or 4kw HD wave so probably have s440 optimizers ie 440w dc capability, also the maximum string is 16 optimizers so 3 of these in series at the inverter gives you 1320w potential. The optimizers are in effect individual MPPT ( milti power point tracking so the inverter itself is just the brains and dc to ac conversion, in theory if you fitted 3 x 400w wind turbines this way the inverter would just think its got 3 extra panels and there finding sunlight ?. Easy to add through setapp and DNO are unaffected as its still the same inverter. Not sure about planning and cheap wind turbines are crap apparently. I'd be interested to know how you get on so keep posting please.

Hello,

I'm wondering almost that same.
Have you been able to do the setup that way?
Didi you get in touch with Solar to get their approuval?
What are your conclusions

Back