diy solar

diy solar

Solar Ready Meter Questions

oaknut

I have two inverters that I want to tie into the grid. A 10kw and a 15kw. My original thought would be to go from the inverters to an 80A and 60A circuit break in a stand along panel box. From there I would go to a disconnect where I would do a line side tap before connecting to the meter. I got the components that I need but did not realize the size of a 200A ac disconnect and the smallest 200a circuit breaker box I could find in stock was 60 spots. I wanted to install the circuit breaker box and disconnect box between a window and the existing meter but with its size, it looks cluttered / tight. (see pic)

My 2nd though would to get some kind of solar ready meter with the built in circuit breakers and this is where I need help. I would like to have the inside existing main breaker box connected directly to the meter, that way power can only be shut off to the house from the main panel in the basement. (not sure if it is possible) The built in circuit breaker would connect to the inverters but would then need to be sent to the ac disconnect before being fed back to the meter. My goal is to try and eliminate having an extra box (the circuit breaker beside the meter) which should make the job look cleaner. I do not have any electricians in my area that have done solar yet so I am trying to get them information so they can safely install the correct item. I am doing all the work except connecting the inverters to the meter. I end up explaining this like the 120% rule as to why I cannot put it in the existing meter which they totally understand probably better than me.

What suggestions do you have for how I can do this and what I will need. Some of the solar ready meters I see just have bottom lugs so if I am drawing from the house and producing from the solar panels, will the bus bar need to be rated at 400A. (the existing meter is 200A and I will produce close to 150A of solar). Can I do some sort of line side tap in the meter circuit breaker box so I can keep the inside circuit breaker box separate from the solar circuit break box connected to the meter? Any help would be appreciated such as A meter that can do what I am looking for. What options do I have? I want to make it look neat without burning the house down.

This system will power two homes through Solar Net metering.

Attachments

• Solar One Line No personal data.pdf
    423.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Inverter Pics.jpg
    Inverter Pics.jpg
    946.1 KB · Views: 3
Back