diy solar

diy solar

Solar rumors, need answers

Honestly, with the advancements in electronic meters, about anything off the shelf will do.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Flukes, but when I'm in the field it's the $5 Horror Freight or whatever.
All I usually need is a voltage or resistance check, to check a diode or something, so I just don't spend the money for something that I'm going to run over, get rained in or someone is going to carry off.

I put the cheap ones in the Jeeps, they get the crap beat out of them with the other tools, and if they give up, $5 isn't a big loss.

I'm still using my Radio Shack ones, which you can find in any town, though I haven't been outside in years.

Was going to take a pict, but remembered they are downstairs where I have been checking my battery bank voltage, and I'm only on my 2nd cup of coffee.

I'm still using my Radio Shack ones, which you can find in any town, though I haven't been outside in years.

Was going to take a pict, but remembered they are downstairs where I have been checking my battery bank voltage, and I'm only on my 2nd cup of coffee.

No life before COFFEE! I'm on my second... (pot) ;)

I have the Fluke that takes temps, plots the course of planets, names hurricanes and makes child birth an absloute pleasure (according to the advertisements), but honestly it doesn't come off the bench much...
Horror Freight was giving them away with coupons as door prizes a few years back and I stocked up on like 10 of them.
(One per visit my ass! ;) )
I have a couple from Wally-World, GB brand I think, and they do fine.

I did the Radio Shack ones for years, had them stuck all over the starter & alternator rebuild shop where I didn't need absloute precision.
Building circuit boards is about the only time I need the Fluke, so it sits on the bench I do that stuff at, nice & safe at the shop, not out on pasture patrol or crossing some creek in an antique Jeep since I paid over $1,000 for it!
(Still butt hurt over that!)

This week I unpacked a box from when I moved over a decade ago. In it was an art book. I noticed the art was likely created by a computer. Decided to keep it, because when we can no longer boot a computer, I'll still be able to view computer art.

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Vol-Vi...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=0836270177
(Erik, My answer was lacking yesterday due to flood restoration, the full-moon, etc., lol.) I should have said; I will paint you something, or better yet, why not grab yourself some brushes and some paint and start your own collection? :)

Here's an oldie but still interesting for those thinking nuclear apocalypse:
Lots of variables one can play with to see what could happen.

Obviously this guy has never been to a Texas Chili cook-off! .....

I was a judge at a chili cook-off once... Just once... About 30 years ago...
And I'm still paying for it. ;)

I was in the military when EMP was the 'Boogy Man' and they were spending like crazy to try and harden everything against it...
Two things I learned,
1. A magnetic field stops a magnetic field in it's tracks.
The lab monkeys used refrigerator magnets (vinyl sheet magnets) to protect their computers when they were pulsing the big EMP generator gadget.

The big 'Secret' here is, the magnetic field has to be MOVING to induce (induction) to build voltage in electrical conductors. While a ferrous metal box attracts the magnetic field, and dissipates it, a static magnetic field absorbs the Moving field (unsupported) 100%.
Save those pizza joint and fridge magnets and stick them to your box/cage.

2. Most fuel injected vehicles from the 80s-early 90s survived.
Those lab monkeys zapped dozens of cars, most would shut off, but restart after the zap.
The wiring is sheltered inside sheet metal, run next to ferrous metal, etc, also short runs of wire.
Not saying you won't have every trouble code pop up, but the vehicles did operate.

You have to remember the under hood of an early 80s vehicle is an EM nightmare,
Stupid high voltage pulsing ignition, amperage pulsing wiper & heater-A/C motor, an alternator that pulsing both amperage and throwing a BIG magnetic field, a pretty hostile place for sensors, wiring, etc.
It always amazes people when you show them twisted wire pairs, shielding, wire bundles run next to magnetic loads (engine block, intake, sheet metal/frame) to reduce the line noise, EM/RF so the early computers can do their jobs...

I can't tell you about vehicles from later, I separated from the military in '95.
They don't exactly keep you in the loop on secret research after you separate.
I'm just 'Joe Average' now.
I happen to have a faraday bag (bought 4-5 years ago) that has been approved by the military...

All I usually need is a voltage or resistance check, to check a diode or something, so I just don't spend the money for something that I'm going to run over, get rained in or someone is going to carry off.

Just read your post and haha, it reminded me of something. Years ago I was using my Fluke on site and left it on a rather large vehicle and absent mindedly left it there. Of course, vehicle was driven off, meter fell off, and went under the tyre. Fortunately the size of the tyre and the soft dirt just resulted in the meter being pressed into the ground but it actually survived it.

The only EMP hardening I have isn't anything to do with EMP. It's a foil shield for my credit card that has NFC capabilities to stop someone sniffing it while it's in my pocket.

Back