diy solar

diy solar

Solar system monitor apps

scottsmith111

I have two small solar systems that I'm testing on some remote land in the hills of Tennessee.

On both systems, I have an Epever Tracer 4210AN MPPT and two 100W panels - very basic. I'm building small, getting my feet wet. These are both working well.

I wanted to do some basic monitoring of the system - I bought a SnekTek - Solar WiFi dashboard controller to play with. It's been interesting, kinda useful. I also built my own RS422 monitor using a MicroBit and MODBUS to pull data out of the charge controller and that's working pretty spiffy.

But I'd really like to settle on a commercially supported set of monitoring apps instead of spending too much time on the DYI side of monitoring.

Anyone have suggestions on what monitoring apps/tools I should be looking at? I'll admit I have not done a lot of searching, but what searching I've done so fare has turned up little...

Advice always welcome!

Scott

I really like the monitoring on my Victron smart solar charge controllers. If you ever need a new SCC look at their screens. Lots of info... I know that doesn’t help you now...

I have been thinking about trying out Victron, so your reply is very timely. I actually have one of my systems up and have the equipment ready for the second, but I can still return the Epever. I think I'll do that so I can give the Victron controllers a try.

Any other advice, always welcome!!

Make sure you get the Smart Solar that has Bluetooth to your phone for the reports. The BlueSolar does not.

bump
Anything new on this?
Is anyone using the Snektek?
Is Victron still preferred? (If you can afford it)

Victron makes a great controller.

Looks like you like to get your hands dirty and I assume you have an internet connection up there.

Most of the Victron controllers units have a 4 pin plug that supports their VE.Direct protocol.

Check out https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vedirect_protocol:faq

There are a ton of open source projects that connect to their products.

Good luck with your project.

Back