diy solar

diy solar

Solar Wattage Max Rating on Hybrid Inverters?

UberTenere

Lets consider an affordable hybrid inverter like the 6kw growatt or one of its similar variants. I'm assuming the listed max PV array power of 5KW is based off the 80A PV charge current X 62.5V which is higher than 54V for charging 48v Battery bank. So my question is do you stay under 5kw array or can you push 5-10% over 5kw based off rated wattage of the panels? With voltage drop and other inefficiencies the full rated power is unlikely to reach the inverter (In North Carolina so im assuming the panels will always be hot). Is it silly to reach for the ideal, or just play it safe since in the end it doesn't really matter?

While the equipment might handle short term overages or small percentage overage, the key here will be serviceability and warranty. If the label says 5kW and you push 5.3kW, if it ever fails and you want support, it will be very easy for them to recognize the overcurrent use of the equipment. No, there is no magical counter, but long term heat is easily identified on a board. So it's a two fold answer, yes you "can" but do you really want to?

So my question is do you stay under 5kw array or can you push 5-10% over 5kw based off rated wattage of the panels?
Panels don't push power to the charge controller.

The main thing to avoid violating when selecting an SCC is the max input voltage. MPPT SCCs have an optimized voltage range and a set of hard limits of here it will start charging (low end) and where it will likely release the magic smoke (at the max input voltage).

However, running a 100A SCC at 100A charging everyday will likely stress most units. Probably quickly for the value priced units and less so for quality units.

Over-paneling is an actual strategy to maximize your SCC. The SCC will clip excess power at its max charging amps. Having more panels starts charging earlier (reaching min voltage) and can produce more power in less optimal conditions (clouds, low sun, smoky air...).

If you know your panel Voc and your SCC's max input voltage, it can easily be determined which array panel configuration(s), if any will work for your system. Having a battery voltage helps too because the max input voltage often is battery voltage dependent.

Back