diy solar

diy solar

Solar without batteries

sanosuke

Hi all,

I'm a beginner in the solar installation space. I was wondering whether there is any risk of running my power load entirely of solar without batteries. I can't afford the batteries necessary for my installation at this time so a figured I could just power them up when there is enough daylight.

If you can provide more details, we can be more useful. What loads are you looking to supply? It could be damaging to equipment or at least frustrating when clouds go by.

I was wondering the same thing. I am a newbie/idiot and want to install solar panels on my new house that is 1200 SQFT. There is talk that the cost of batteries will be dropping significantly and I was thinking of buying and installing my batteries last. Is this a practical thought? I would be connected to the grid and hopefully just reduce my electric bill and charge my tesla during the day, at night going back to grid power?

I was thinking of going with the EG4 inverter(s), with used panels from Santan, but am undecided. I wish I knew my current electric usage but It is a new house that I have never lived in.

Any input much appreciated! thanks!

Is this a practical thought? I would be connected to the grid...
Yes, very practical, if grid-tied. I ran my Solis Hybrid inverter for 3 months over the summer of 2022 on PV only, whilst I built my battery pack.

You get used to looking at the weather forecasts and up at the sky to judge the best time to put the washing machine and tumble dryer on, then curse 30 minutes later when it clouds over!

But at least you appreciate having batteries even more when you finally get them installed :)

Thank you for the advice. I'm curious what kind of inverter you used? Did it work pretty seamlessly transitioning from PV to grid power?

Most grid tied inverter will work without batteries. How big a system do you want? Do you want to export?
I have not sized the system yet. My house will be 1200 SQFT with everything running off electricity. I also will be charging my tesla model 3. It is a rural property and there is only 1 electric company I can use. They do not buy back electricity only giving a credit for future usages. So my thinking was to just avoid that hassle.

(y) Solis S5 Hybrid.
Awesome, thanks! Is yours indoors or outdoors? Because my house is so small and limited indoor space, I am leaning towards an outdoor rated inverter that I can put in a nearby shipping container. I also have fears of fire from setting something up wrong so hopefully the container will act as a firewall.

My Solises are in a garage 30m from the house. For safety (of batteries) as well as inverter noise reasons.

Back