diy solar

diy solar

Solis GUI with two inverters

Tadpole48

We have 2 Solis inverters (each has a data logger), 1 on the house roof, a basic single MPPT, and the 2nd is on a workshop and is a hybrid twin MPPT (still awaiting a battery).
Solis records the data from each inverter fine and even merges them for the GUI on the Plant page. The strange thing is that the Consumption data is wrong!
The pretty animated Web display shows correct consumption (for both inverters combined) but the "Energy Balance" (display with graphs etc) is wrong! - by quite a lot.
The downloaded data from each inverter appears ok and matches data from Octopus so it's just a GUI error, stranger still is that up 'till a few days ago the Android version was totally correct but now matches the Web version and is also wrong. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 8
Any ideas?
Welcome!

quick guess = 'dodgy Chinese software engineers' ;)

longer guess =
a) looks like the "total consumption" of 14.29 matches the 8.1 generated, 7.74 imported and 1.55 exported correctly.
b) the 11kWh "consumption" figure is the 3.36 "self consumption" plus the 7.74 imported

But, I can't see where the 3.36 "self consumption" comes from and don't understand what they mean by "self consumption" compared to "self use"

Does it give any clues as to what they mean if you click or hover over the "?" by those definitions?

Self Consumption on Solis I believe is the energy consumed as measured using the external CT

I can't work out what "self-consumption" is either. It doesn't match any of the other figures I've got direct from the inverter and I can't work out any way of combining them to get it. The external CT doesn't measure consumption as such, just grid import and export.

Thanks for the replies, Solis GUI says this...

"What is Self-Use?
Self-Use = PV Generation - Energy Exported
Note: "Self-Use" refers to the electricity generated by PV, excluding what is exported to the grid. All other electricity is considered self-consumption.

What is Self-Consumption?
Self-Consumption = Load Consumption - Energy Imported
Note: "Self-Consumption" refers to the electricity Consumed by the load, excluding what is imported from the grid. All other electricity is considered self-sufficiency."

As I understand it, my load consumption is Grid-in + (PV - Grid out) and if that's the case then according to the above...
my "Self-Consumption = Grid-in + (PV - Grid out) - Energy Imported (Grid-in)", which equates to PV - Grid out which is Self-Use !!!
Strangely "Total" consumption of the GUI appears correct, I guess my question is what is the difference between "Total" Consumption and Consumption - as I don't have a battery this shouldn't be in any of the equations.

Last edited:
Had a reply from Solis, told me to put both inverters as separate plants rather than into one, as that would create more issues I will just keep everything as is and ignore the errors.

Had a reply from Solis, told me to put both inverters as separate plants rather than into one, as that would create more issues I will just keep everything as is and ignore the errors.
So my first guess was probably the most accurate ;)?

Finally got to the bottom of the SolisCloud incorrect consumption figure. This will not affect most people.
I have TWO Solis inverters running (a hybrid in the workshop and a regular in the house roof, and, in SolisCloud they are linked in one plant), when calculating consumption Solis correctly shows the value (in the red circle), but in the pretty graphics it is incorrect, this is because in the consumption calculation for the graphics, SolisCloud does not add the Yield of BOTH inverters, it only uses the yield of the hybrid.
A basic error that for some reason has not been corrected.

Attachments

• Untitled-1 (1).jpg
    Untitled-1 (1).jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 3
Back