diy solar

diy solar

Solis RAI-3K-48ES-5G 'charge from grid' setting

DeckChair

Hi all,

first, newbie to this forum, but long-on-the-tooth electronics experience.

Have a Solis S5-GR1P3.6K fed by 4.5 kWp on the roof i.e. standard PV system.

Then self-installed an RAI-3K-48ES-5G AC coupled inv. with 360 Ah 48 V lead acids. All is working, but...

With winter approaching I want to charge from PV only, and then dump if I need it to the house (think demand flexibility scheme).

I do not want to charge from the grid, but it appears the "charge from grid" setting in the TOU menu is non-functional ? Setting to "not allow" still causes the RAI to charge the batteries at the TOU times.

How do I:
1) solely charge from PV spare during the day (do not allow discharge of any nature)
2) then discharge as per self-use i.e. only amount needed by load when wanted for a time slot ?

I don't mind some button pressing, but don't want to completely program the unit each time.

From what I have read here and elsewhere, there seems to be an issue in this regard with the Solis RAI (and RHI) inverters ?

Hi all,

first, newbie to this forum, but long-on-the-tooth electronics experience.

Have a Solis S5-GR1P3.6K fed by 4.5 kWp on the roof i.e. standard PV system.

Then self-installed an RAI-3K-48ES-5G AC coupled inv. with 360 Ah 48 V lead acids. All is working, but...

With winter approaching I want to charge from PV only, and then dump if I need it to the house (think demand flexibility scheme).

I do not want to charge from the grid, but it appears the "charge from grid" setting in the TOU menu is non-functional ? Setting to "not allow" still causes the RAI to charge the batteries at the TOU times.

How do I:
1) solely charge from PV spare during the day (do not allow discharge of any nature)
2) then discharge as per self-use i.e. only amount needed by load when wanted for a time slot ?

I don't mind some button pressing, but don't want to completely program the unit each time.

From what I have read here and elsewhere, there seems to be an issue in this regard with the Solis RAI (and RHI) inverters ?
Hello ? I think the first issue is easy to avoid - if you set the ToU on charge to 00.00 for all values then it won't charge from the grid.

1. This in principle is how self-use works i.e. charge from excess PV, but I can't see how you would prevent discharge (or why?) as if there is a cloudy period, the battery simply kicks in to prevent import

2. The second part is not so easy as ToU discharge will dump your battery energy to the house and grid at full whack - there doesn't really seem to be a 'self-use' based on time as far as I can tell i.e. once you start importing, the self-use simply balances the net-grid import/export but this happens as soon as it 'sees' no export from PV and a net import...

The only way I've found to stop the RAI just doing what it does is simply to shut the whole lot down i.e. last week when it was so cloudy that it wasn't charging but the battery had hit my 20% low SoC value, it would simply be sat there self-discharging slowly and using a few W from the grid, so just wasting energy!

Back