diy solar

diy solar

Some advice please

Sfath

Hi All,

Can I please have some advice on what size solar charge controller I need with this setup. I have 2 X 440W solar panels in series with the 280Ah battery below. Also, some advice on which brand SCC to get too without spending too much but getting good reliability.

Also, are there any alternatives to the Gobel Power 12V 280Ah for sale?

Regards Sfath

Trina Vertex S+ 440W
Gobel Power 12V 280Ah LiFePO4 Battery

Attachments

• s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    333.6 KB · Views: 3
Lets go at it from a use perspective.

What does the battery power?

What loads are you running, and how often?

Are you trying to get all solar watts into the battery?or are you trying to keep it charged efficiently with loss during the peak of the day?

Rule #1 HAVE A PLAN and THEN start buying stuff, otherwise, you'll lighten your wallet really fast, WHILE pulling out your hair and making spouse unhappy. Describe what you "need" and would like to have and the purpose. Full/Part Time ON/OFF grid, residential/mobile/marine.

Quicky Notes: We suggest NOT to exceed pulling 250A from Battery system in general.
12V x 250A = 3000W. 3000W ÷ 120V = 25A
24V x 250A = 6000W. 6000W ÷ 120V = 50A
48V x 250A = 12,000W. 12000W ÷ 120V = 60A or if 240V 30A

There is a LOT of gear out there. Lower Cost 3rd Tier "Value" with fewer features & functions but they work to 1st Tier premium feature & function filled that will survive through serious nastiness for years. Of course there is $$ difference.

All In One (AIO) systems where the Solar Controller(s), Inverter & Charger are all built into one unit, these have many advantages but also equal disadvantages too depending on what you are targeting for your solar installation.

Component Systems are ore complex but far more flexible & adaptable for various use cases. Theis means separate Solar Controller(s), and Inverter/Charger System. Generally these can be more efficient, especially when using Tier-1 products like Victron.

Management & Control: These days most devices have an APP (PC &/or phone) but interoperability between different brands is a mess simply put. There are no Universal standards - protocols but it is getting better slowly. Companies like Victron have an entire eco-system which they support & is compatible with all of their gear Old & New.

BATTERY NOTES:
If you choose to go 12V then obviously use 12V Batteries but same applies for 24/48V ! Stay with Native Voltage Batteries and do not start putting them in series to step up voltage (always causes issues).

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies!

I'm in Australia on 230V.

I haven't bought any of those items yet but was just considering them. I'm looking at that battery coz of it's capacity in case of several cloudy days. I also like how that battery has bluetooth so I can monitor it. I want to power a small "getaway" cabin with minimal items in it such as a 12v TV, internet router/wifi to power security cameras, 12V fridge, 230V inverter, ect. I won't be using much power in the cabin when I'm there and want to stick to 12V battery/system.

But I've decided not to get that battery and panels thanks to advice here. I think I will be fine with a smaller battery and just bought a 100Ah battery with 100a charge and discharge. It was 45% off for this day only on ebay so I grabbed it coz I couldn't wait for responses here as I am in Aus and be going to bed soon.

May I please have some advice on what solar panels and SCC to get with this 100Ah battery? Thanks a lot!

Sfath

Last edited:
Rule of thumb for 12v systems is 10a of SCC per 100w of panel, so with 880w you'll need a lot of SCC there. I can't think of any 80a SCC's off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell you to remortgage the house for something blue. 😁
Absolutely …blue all the way… price is down…quality very high…plus you have bragging rights to the neighbors.. 👍
( who needs a house anyway)....to much maintenance

diy solar

diy solar
Back