diy solar

diy solar

Some thoughts on fire suppression for LiPo battery cells in RV

KevinM

I'm glad to see there is a discussion group about this topic, some interesting comments.

My main concern having a large battery bank in an RV is obviously the failure these batteries might have. Hot fires and RVs don't mix well.

In my plan the cells will occupy their own compartment secured on aluminum shelves we will fabricate. From everything i read, basic ABC type extingushers can put out the initial flames, but the thermal reaction in the subject cells will continue for a few seconds, possibly causing it or adjacent cells to reignite. So here's what i was thinking.

1) I can install a ABC "bomb type" automatic extinguisher, like the Protang which should take care of the initial fire.

2) In order to keep the batteries cool for a few seconds I can design and fabricate a small precharged water misting system (similar to that used in most commercial buildings, but just using mist not squirting water) with a gallon or two of water in a pressurized vessel. I can design the firing system using a pico or similar with flame sensors. The misting is just intended to keep the compartment and cells cool without creating any paths for additional shorts.

3) line the compartment with a high temperature material like what is used for light weight welding blankets, typically good up to 1800 degrees.

I get that ensuring the battery system is designed and maintained properly is the best way to prevent failures, but in the real world any number of things can go wrong and ruin your whole day.

Is this crazy? A little overkill? your thoughts?

Are you confusing LiPo with LiFePO4?

Both lithium ion chemistries. One likes to explode and the other doesn’t do much other than smoke.

Unless you’re building your own LiPo battery, you won’t find these for sale for rv use.

To clarify I'm referring to LiFePO4...from what I read these still can flame and have a thermal reaction

They can have a thermal reaction, but it’s not flaming. Often cool enough to touch. Bad smoke to breathe and best to leave asap and let it fizzle out.

Just out of curiosity, since Lithium and Iron are metals, wouldn't you need a Class D extinguisher for them? Has anyone tried that yet?

I'm using a set of smoke detectors from XSense and metal cased batteries in ours.

I don't think there is much of a chance they will burst into flames, but the amount of energy they can discharge in a short or from frayed wires makes me think that a smoldering cable could the be the start of something.
I wanted metal cases on the batteries to limit the potential spread and the smoke detectors to give us a chance to get out before things got out of hand.

I think this is the right model from XSense, they are interconnected alarms and the wifi base station lets you monitor them from your phone.
They do offer a monitoring service, but since we are on the road, I self monitor from the phone instead.

I'm using a set of smoke detectors from XSense and metal cased batteries in ours.

I don't think there is much of a chance they will burst into flames, but the amount of energy they can discharge in a short or from frayed wires makes me think that a smoldering cable could the be the start of something.
I wanted metal cases on the batteries to limit the potential spread and the smoke detectors to give us a chance to get out before things got out of hand.

I think this is the right model from XSense, they are interconnected alarms and the wifi base station lets you monitor them from your phone.
They do offer a monitoring service, but since we are on the road, I self monitor from the phone instead.
Can you give more info about your metal cased batteries ?

I'm using the EG4-LL 12V packs, nothing special I just wanted an external metal case not a rotomolded plastic one.

I recently say a new firefighting tool for the home. They are "Fire Blankets" in a pouch with a spot to grab and a quick deployment with instructions on how to use. Looked amazingly efficient and certainly less mess than fire extinguishers. I have 3 different fire extinguishers in my van which I live in and the fire blanket is my next get .. ?

I had this fire suppression system in my boat’s engine room. It’s made by Fireboy Xintex. They are automatic with provision for manual activation. They have a normaly closed contact switch that opens on activation so this turns off the required indicator lamps (opens negative) at the helms and the shared negative for the engine room blower(off). This keeps the fire suppressant in place and not exhausted. The tank size is based on engine room size. Notes; Warning about opening the engine compartment and reigniting the fire AND not entering the space because of lack of oxygen. You don’t want this in your living space and be sure that harmful levels can’t get there(leak up while you’re asleep if triggered) I have it alarmed for sure. They are NOT inexpensive. You could install some fire and heat sensors in the compartment. One has both photo & ion. I’m very happy with these with no false alarms if you don’t count the one with me doing a lot of heat shrink in the vicinity. These have battery backup with 120VAC interconnect so you can rig it to a carbon monoxide fire detection combo in the cabin. IMG_1002.jpegIMG_0999.jpegIMG_1001.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm glad to see there is a discussion group about this topic, some interesting comments.

My main concern having a large battery bank in an RV is obviously the failure these batteries might have. Hot fires and RVs don't mix well.

In my plan the cells will occupy their own compartment secured on aluminum shelves we will fabricate. From everything i read, basic ABC type extingushers can put out the initial flames, but the thermal reaction in the subject cells will continue for a few seconds, possibly causing it or adjacent cells to reignite. So here's what i was thinking.

1) I can install a ABC "bomb type" automatic extinguisher, like the Protang which should take care of the initial fire.

2) In order to keep the batteries cool for a few seconds I can design and fabricate a small precharged water misting system (similar to that used in most commercial buildings, but just using mist not squirting water) with a gallon or two of water in a pressurized vessel. I can design the firing system using a pico or similar with flame sensors. The misting is just intended to keep the compartment and cells cool without creating any paths for additional shorts.

3) line the compartment with a high temperature material like what is used for light weight welding blankets, typically good up to 1800 degrees.

I get that ensuring the battery system is designed and maintained properly is the best way to prevent failures, but in the real world any number of things can go wrong and ruin your whole day.

Is this crazy? A little overkill? your thoughts?
The best water mist systems used I data centres work under extreme pressure, circa 200 bar. The spray nozzles are sophisticated directional devices. I can't see how you would build anything close or work out how to active it. You certainly don't want an accidental activation.

Back