diy solar

diy solar

Sorotec REVO II 5.5K Fans Constantly Running

ssilk

Hi all,

I had a REVO VM II 5.5KW inverter installed recently with a 48V 4.8kWh backup battery, to power lights and computers during load shedding in Zambia. There are no solar panels connected. So it's a glorified UPS for lights, TV, router, computer.

I find that the fans are always running at a medium duty cycle, even when the utility power has been on for hours, the battery is not charging, and the output power is under 100W. Our house is open-concept and the breaker panel is in the corner of the living room, so that's where the inverter is installed. So it sounds like a microwave is running in the living room at all times.

I know the fans are not running at their lowest setting because if I turn off the input (mains) power, they slow down significantly. And they're not at max speed because if the utility is off for a while then comes back, so the batteries need to recharge, it gets much louder.

Our house is also not very hot. I'd say it's about 23 or 24'C inside right now. And the air coming out of the bottom of the inverter is not noticeably warmer than the ambient interior temperature.

Is constant fan activity like this normal for the environment and load I described, while utility power is present?

Note: the product descriptions I've read online describe an "Anti-Dust Kit" that can be installed, and states that the inverter will automatically detect this and "activate internal thermal sensor to adjust internal temperature" which I'm reading as "will run fans more or faster". However, the manual received with the unit makes no mention of a dust kit, it just has a picture of the filters on the air intakes that says dust filter or something like that. My house is not dusty so I'm thinking of taking those off or at least vacuuming them to see if that helps.

If the Dust kit is installed, could that explain the excessive fan activity? This is not a dusty environment so I don't think I need that kit.

I also saw a post from user @Frank in Thailand showing an after-market fan upgrade with 120mm fans. I had thought about the same, but haven't tried it yet.

Thanks.

Back