diy solar

diy solar

SOS! Help! 400 Watt System with DIY LiFePo4 12v Battery

solarnewb123

I am totally new to electrical engineering of any kind, aside from fixing phones and small electronics in the past...so be patient with me here. I have a few things I need to clarify, because I am basing my solar set up for my van build solely off of what I've learned by watching Will's tutorials.

Overview:
(#) signifies how many of each item I plan on purchasing...
- Understood means that I understand the function and set up for each item
- Questions following listed items are in the same format

First, my set up will be as follows:
200 ah 12v LiFePo4 battery, 400 watts 12v solar (4x 100w panels)
I (high-end) estimated that I will be using 2,079 watt hours/day.

Now, the components...

(1) 200ah 12vLifePo4 DIY battery (4 x 3.2v cells) - I've already got this, but still need to bottom balance. My question on bottom balancing is this: I bought used cells from someone in my hometown. He was unfamiliar with the capacity but I know they are what I mentioned above. I bought them because I got them at an extraordinary price ($400 total), and I used a volt meter and discovered that the individual voltages are as follows: (S1=4.0v) (S2=3.2v) (S3=3.2v) (S4=2.5v) I am under the impression that S4 could be problematic. What is the best way to balance these, initially, with such a huge range of voltages (before I move on to bottom balance)? I need to buy the tools to do this but I am waiting on clarification. What I was going to do was use resistors to bring down the 4v cell, charge them all in series, and use the resistors again to lower the greater charged cells to match the S1 once it is charged to a stable voltage. I assume there is a way to just charge the S1 alone, but I can't find many clear videos on youtube or elsewhere about how to do that and when I do, they don't explain thoroughly how to make the tools to charge 1 cell at a time. There's limited information about this anywhere on the internet. Also, I am aware that the 2.5v cell may be damaged, but I don't really know until I try to charge and discharge it, and again, I don't currently have the tools to do that until I get clarification. Also, you have mentioned a resistor "pack" that you made to make it go more quickly on the discharge, but there is no tutorial on how to make this. So I am stumped there as well.

The rest on this list I am also waiting on clarification to purchase:

(1) Victron 12v MPPT 100/50 Charge controller - Understood
(1) GoWISE Power PS1005 Pure Sine Wave Inverter 1500W - Understood
(1) ESupport 12v 40a Relay - Understood
(1) VIctron Battery Protect 12v-220A - Could I go with 100A? I don't know how to size this.
(1) Victron Smart Battery Sense Temp/Voltage Sensor for MPPT Solar Charge Controllers - Understood
(1) Waterproof Common Port BMS 4s 12v (???amps) - I have no idea how to size the amperage on this either, how many amps should I get for this? Also, I saw a (Will) video tutorial where this was used and but at the end of the video you said I would need one with different ports, so that the charge controller is protected when it disconnects. You also have a different BMS link on your site than you have in the video tutorial where this particular BMS is used, assuming for the reason above, but I am confused what to get. The common port seems a lot more affordable than the Separate Port BMS. How necessary is this? Is there a cheaper way to bypass the regular BMS disconnecting the charge controller?

I think that's it for now. Thank you so much for what you are doing! I am learning a LOT and I'm now more excited about building and understanding my electrical system than I am to use it. Thank you!!!

Last edited:
I'd start by bringing S1 down a bit with a load, then balance by hooking all 4 cells in parallel overnight.

What is the reason for the 48v to 12v 30A converter?

Thank you! Is there a way to bring S1 down with a load on its own? I was thinking about using resistors. The converter is used in this tutorial:

Thank you! Is there a way to bring S1 down with a load on its own? I was thinking about using resistors. The converter is used in this tutorial:

Without watching that whole video I think he's using a 24v battery setup so he needed the converter...you are only running 12v right? I'd just use a lightbulb as a load to bring down S1, but a resistor would work fine also.

I would tie 2 and 3 together, and put them aside then attach #1 to a usb charger to a load like a light or similar. I rip the guts out of a cheapo battery bank. Use jumper wires to the cell 1 and plug in a usb light or fan or something for a few days until the voltage drops to 2.5
Then tie the 2 and 3 cells to the charger, link 1 and 4 together to equalize together.
After 2 and 3 are down to 2.5 I would add them to the block of 1 and 4... let them sit a day or two, and see what all cells equalize to.

Ok, I need to clarify. I am BRAND new to this (I don't have the tools yet either) so you'll have to clarify some things for me. What do you mean by "tie 2 and 3 together" specifically? Put them in parallel? Attach 1 to a USB charger? I'm not sure how to do this or what other wiring I need for this. please clarify! You rip the guts out of a cheap battery bank? Is that meant to say this battery bank is worthless? How do the jumper wires attach to the plug? From the inverter? Remember, I still haven't purchased any of this....I'm waiting until I know exactly what I need and I am still trying to learn and understand everything before purchasing. Tie 2 and 3 cells to a charger=? "tie" them with what? Link 1 and 4 together I assume you mean put them in parallel to balance.

Understood on the last part.

I feel more confused now than helped...sorry for being such a newb.

Without watching that whole video I think he's using a 24v battery setup so he needed the converter...you are only running 12v right? I'd just use a lightbulb as a load to bring down S1, but a resistor would work fine also.

I see. So for my set up, I would connect the relay directly to the BMS and the battery protect instead of using the converter. makes sense.

Yes.
I meant to gradually lower the voltage of all your cells to get them all at 2.5
Did your cells come with links? Or do you need to make some?
1 is the highest, so it needs to come down first
Then 2 and 3 are the same, so they can be paralleled now.
After 1 hits 2.5 tie it to 4 parallel
Then discharge the 2 and 3 cells until they are at 2.5
Then parallel all 4 cells together for a few days until all are perfectly equalized.
Then they can be setup in a serial bank to use as a 12v battery and connected to the charge controller of choice.

There are 3 links to make the 4 in series but I will have to make more to parallel them all in the end which I know how to do.
Thanks for the clarification. Although, how can I discharge 2 and 3 cells together? Would I have to do them separately? Also, can you explain to me how to set up these cells to discharge? Resistors connected to the positive and negative of the cell but then what? I can't find any set up schematic for this, it would also be nice to see how to set up a parallel resistor pack to discharge more quickly, but I'm patient so we can skip that if it's too complicated. Thanks!

I see. So for my set up, I would connect the relay directly to the BMS and the battery protect instead of using the converter. makes sense.

I just had time to watch that video and I don't blame you for being confused...as I am too! It seems the whole reason he needed to use the battery protect (and relay, and converter for the relay) was because the BMS he chose (1kw) was undersized for the load (the 2kw inverter). With a properly sized BMS for the load, the BMS itself could have been used as the battery protection...I think? That vid was a bit confusing.

There are 3 links to make the 4 in series but I will have to make more to parallel them all in the end which I know how to do.
Thanks for the clarification. Although, how can I discharge 2 and 3 cells together? Would I have to do them separately? Also, can you explain to me how to set up these cells to discharge? Resistors connected to the positive and negative of the cell but then what? I can't find any set up schematic for this, it would also be nice to see how to set up a parallel resistor pack to discharge more quickly, but I'm patient so we can skip that if it's too complicated. Thanks!

A light bulb, or a heater element would do it. Just connect the load to the cell terminals... but you would need to constantly monitor that way.
An easy way to do it, is with a cheapo 1 cell usb battery bank. Usually at the dollar store or similar.
Open it up, unhook the bank battery, and use jumpers to tie in your high voltage cell.
Then hook up a usb load, like a usb fan or light, and let it discharge for a few days. You could also charge your phone etc with it until it dies... the cutoff on those is often 2.7 or 3.0v they are designed around a 2000mah battery, so your 135,000 mah battery is going to take a LONG time to deplete down to cutoff voltage.

But aside from paralleling all the batteries together, I don’t see an easy way to balance them and stay within the c-rating of the cells... and paralleling cells that are THAT far apart in voltage is a bad idea.

I just had time to watch that video and I don't blame you for being confused...as I am too! It seems the whole reason he needed to use the battery protect (and relay, and converter for the relay) was because the BMS he chose (1kw) was undersized for the load (the 2kw inverter). With a properly sized BMS for the load, the BMS itself could have been used as the battery protection...I think? That vid was a bit confusing.

Ok. Back to sizing the BMS then, how do I do this for my particular load and what does my new schematic look like?

Ok. Back to sizing the BMS then, how do I do this for my particular load and what does my new schematic look like?

A 1500w inverter @ 12v is going to draw 166.6 amps, which is huge. That is why people use higher volt systems, or smaller inverters on 12v. But in your scenario you'd need a 200amp BMS.

See the diagram halfway down the page in this LINK. "Motor" is your load/inverter and "charger" is your solar. Note on the"separate port" model the BMS can shut off the load without also disconnecting the battery from the charge controller.

yeah exactly. was using battery protect as a super large relay, but using individual cell monitoring to trigger it.

Ok. Would I be able to get by with a 100 amp battery protect with 1000 watt inverter? I'm still a little confused on how to size my whole system. Thanks again for all the help!

A light bulb, or a heater element would do it. Just connect the load to the cell terminals... but you would need to constantly monitor that way.
An easy way to do it, is with a cheapo 1 cell usb battery bank. Usually at the dollar store or similar.
Open it up, unhook the bank battery, and use jumpers to tie in your high voltage cell.
Then hook up a usb load, like a usb fan or light, and let it discharge for a few days. You could also charge your phone etc with it until it dies... the cutoff on those is often 2.7 or 3.0v they are designed around a 2000mah battery, so your 135,000 mah battery is going to take a LONG time to deplete down to cutoff voltage.

Can you explain exactly how to do this, for example (x) load connects with (x) wire to (x) battery? I don't want to ruin my individual cells but I really want to get started on balancing these. Since I haven't ever seen a video or a diagram of how to do this and what I need, I am clueless.

To equalize cells it would look like this

|--------Resistor or bulb-----------------------------|
(Pos)Cell1(Neg)<--------->(Neg)Cell2(Pos)

Can you explain exactly how to do this, for example (x) load connects with (x) wire to (x) battery? I don't want to ruin my individual cells but I really want to get started on balancing these. Since I haven't ever seen a video or a diagram of how to do this and what I need, I am clueless.
Do you already have a power bank? If not go get one at the dollar store(get a few, it isn’t hard to break them, and they work for projects etc.)
Open one up, and look at it.
There will be two wires connected to an 18650 battery, and a little board that has usb input and output.
cut the two wires noting which one is connected to the positive side of the battery, and extend hose wires with apair of alligator clip jumper leads.
hook up the leads to your cell, and then plug in a usb load. I like the little fans and lights...

Another option would be with a dedicated battery discharge/charger. Online for about 20.00, and fairly simple to use, and often programmable to discharge rates, and charge/discharge limits.
You could also get arduino project stuff and build something.

Last edited:
Sorry I've been traveling for a few days and haven't been responding to this thread. Thank you all so much! I am so thrilled to have this platform as a first timer. I don't know how I would have managed without. I got all my cells charged and discharged to the same rate! Now I'll start the process for discharging them in series to bottom balance. Will let you know how it all goes and if I have further questions. Thanks again!

Yes, 1000w @12 is 83 amps. I think 1000w is the practical limit for a 12v system.

If I want to run a blender for 1-2 minutes at a time, possibly every day or up to 4 times a week, would you recommend a different size inverter or stick with the 1000 watt? The alternative would be go higher, and get a 1500 watt inverter. In that case, would I also go with a larger battery protect? This would be nice in case I'd like to add solar panels in the future....right now I plan on using a 12v 400 watt solar panel system, but could add another one later with the larger inverter...what do you think?

The rest of my load will be roughly:

Computer=85w, 6 hours
Monitor Display=50w, 3 hours*
iPhone=18 watts, 7 hours
Portable Refrigerator=60w, 8 hours, 12v
Blender=600w, 2 minutes**
Lights=80w, 5 hours,12v
Sink Pump=60w, 1 hour, 12v
Roof Fan=50w, 4 hours, 12v

Thanks

diy solar

diy solar