diy solar

diy solar

spf12000 array

pctree

So Im slowly expanding my system, I currently only have 12 panels hooked up with 2 strings of 6 .

Panels are rated at 240W, open circuit 37.2V, Pmax 30.4v at 7.89A.

SPF 12000 is rated for 7000 Watts at 250 volts max. I have 40 panels at my disposal but guess I can only hook up 29 to the SPF. How would yaal configure this ? Sorry for my ignorance but Im unsure if you can feed varying voltages from unequal strings into a charge controller.

Also how would you go about utilizing more panels, specific charge controller recomendations?

I have 48 230Ah LiPo batteries

Voc of 37.2 *6 = 223.2v. That is getting close to the max.

Where do you live?
What is the coldest temp there ever?
On the back of the panels there is a temperature coefficient of Voc something like -.xx%/C.
(The above is just to make sure some cold morning in the winter - you don’t damage the solar charge controller when the voltage spikes first thing in the morning).

After you max out your SPF12000’s solar controller, to use more panels look at getting a stand alone solar charge controller- something like a Victron 250/70 or 250/60 (there are others - just get good tier1 ones).

You can also put panels east/west on the same string - good morning and evening watts.

Good Luck!

There is no temp rating on the panel. This morning was 7f here which is about as cold as we ever see. By the time the sun got fully on the array it was 14f and voltage was 204V

So Im guessing it would be safer to do a 4s7p array rather than go slightly over the 7000W with a 6s5p ?? Do they have any fudge factor built in?

Back